Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

How do you protect your laptop on really heavy frost / dew nights?

Cumbrianwolf

Now it may seem a silly question but since I have not used the laptop outside all that much as before for this time the imaging was a DSLR camera, intervelometer and an autoguider. Whereas now I am starting to use a selection of imaging additions and the laptop got drenched with dew even though I had it in a cardboard box on my trial run.

31 minutes ago, Cumbrianwolf said:

Now it may seem a silly question but since I have not used the laptop outside all that much as before for this time the imaging was a DSLR camera, intervelometer and an autoguider. Whereas now I am starting to use a selection of imaging additions and the laptop got drenched with dew even though I had it in a cardboard box on my trial run.

I have seen people using large plastic boxes with a hole cut in the back for cables to run through, but it is still open to the elements at the front. I have gone the simplest and the cheapest route. I use a large black bin liner, the heavy duty type. Just lay it over the laptop, tuck it under the laptop front and back, never had any problems. Been doing it this way for a couple of years.

• Like 1

That how I used to do it when I used a laptop to image. Big plastic box with clip on lid. Wires coming out of holes I drilled in the side.

• Like 1

I chose a box big enough to clip the lid on when I push the laptop back, the only opening is the cable entry at the underside of the box that overhangs the table:

image.png.589811de6f68790ed7af27a010724616.png

The box is nailed 😁to the table.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cumbrianwolf said:

Plastic box as mentioned below is the cheapest and better option. If you then have a shed to stay in and long cable is much better!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gabs said:

Plastic box as mentioned below is the cheapest and better option. If you then have a shed to stay in and long cable is much better!

I am wondering with various extensions and a little time I could utilise the tin shed which would offer a little more protection from the elements, it is a thought in progress for sure, so thanks for the tip as sometimes I do not think outside the box.

I dont know why , when there are so many options for imaginging indoors anyone would leave a laptop outside.

Roger

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ApophisAstros said:

I dont know why , when there are so many options for imaginging indoors anyone would leave a laptop outside.

Roger

Because I do not know all the solutions currently nor an infinitum of money to spare on it, so it is a case of work with what I have currently got rather than throw money into something that I may not continue with. So rather than an inane comment, that serves not purpose, could you  please place some meat on the bones with information so that I and others within the group can make more informed choices thereafter as we are not all experts from the off.

Edited by Cumbrianwolf
Detailed additions.

Just now, ApophisAstros said:

Thats my opinion , sorry if it was offensive to you.

Roger

Sorry if I snapped a little, but a little more context within the comment on other options would have served the group members better, promote and be an ambassador to the hobby.

I came up with a cheap and cheerful solution to maintain an ambient temperature and protect the laptop I have whilst in the box, it is a temperature controlled heat pad as used in vivarium, they do not heat up to more than around 35C and at around 20w it will use nothing as I already have the laptop plugged into the mains as otherwise the draw from the USB ports drains the batteries quickly. Also, they are sealed from moisture so water-resistant, I will update you after I have a chance to test this out.

Edited by Cumbrianwolf

Hiya John,

I always use a cardboard box after experimenting with a plastic one where the dew still gathered and dripped onto my lappy.

A cardboard box sucks up the moisture and really keeps your lappy dry and you can use the box flaps to fold down to shield the screen. I found that a box lasts several sessions before it gets tired.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Hiya John,

I always use a cardboard box after experimenting with a plastic one where the dew still gathered and dripped onto my lappy.

A cardboard box sucks up the moisture and really keeps your lappy dry and you can use the box flaps to fold down to shield the screen. I found that a box lasts several sessions before it gets tired.

Funny you said that as all I had to hand was a cardboard box and as you stated it absorbs a lot of the moisture before it causes an issue, I cannot wait to try it out with the heat pad Idea I had. 🙂

I tend to put the lid on the box after I have everything setup and imaging. The heat from the laptop stops condensation in the box. I VNC into the laptop from the house so I can check progress and modify the session. If the weather is good I will leave it running like that overnight. Whether its a few hours or an all night session when I pull the tent cover back over the equipment there tends to be a lot of moisture to drive off on all surfaces. I leave dew heaters on and the laptop running idle for several hours - I rely on the natural draught in the tent to exchange the air and dry things off. I then check it around lunchtime to see if I need to employ the fan heater and/or hair dryer.

(Its one of the pluses of working from home that I can even conceive of doing an all night session.)

I presume others with even more permanent setups also suffer from the moisture problem on all uncovered surfaces.

1 hour ago, Cumbrianwolf said:

Sorry if I snapped a little, but a little more context within the comment on other options would have served the group members better, promote and be an ambassador to the hobby.

I dont know your situation ie how far your mount is from the house , what your remote options are if any and only use a specific setup from indoors myself , i was a bit taken back that you said you would use an unprotected electrical appliance like a Laptop outside and need advice how to protect it from the elements.Thats nothing to do with astronomy its just common sense.

Roger

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ApophisAstros said:

I dont know your situation ie how far your mount is from the house , what your remote options are if any and only use a specific setup from indoors myself , i was a bit taken back that you said you would use an unprotected electrical appliance like a Laptop outside and need advice how to protect it from the elements.Thats nothing to do with astronomy its just common sense.

Roger

Sorry for the delay as I was dragged out to do some shopping, not the joyous shiny new toys kind either. I understand your concern now over the safety aspect, and of course the main point in that electronics do not like moisture one bit, for which I am grateful. I am looking into a way to control the kit via wireless methods, as I would rather be in the house next to the open fire than freezing my extremities out there. Not only that, but I do not know the best way to do this, so I am an open book to ideas and suggestions as this is a new side to the hobby for me as prior methods were a case of me outside with a film camera and intervelometer whatever the weather brought. 😉

Just now, paul said:

For mains circuits I use a Dri-box:51TJXaI93DS._AC_SL1200_.thumb.jpg.1ec23ba145a3226c24f2ce3d103c75cc.jpg

I like that idea, I was using a weatherproof socket on an extension to power the laptop adapter, but the above seems a better option. Off to check it out.

I use a NUC next to the pillar outside in a plastic vented box. The heat from the NUC keeps it dry. Laptop inside house connects via wifi to NUC using Win 10 Remote Desktop and NINA. I'm short range, the wifi never skips a beat. All battery powered. I could easily use mains, I choose not to.

There's a mini PC Beelink GKMini Mini PC£219 that isn't over expensive. Also available on Amazon. 

Just because you can fit an RCD to mains stuff be aware it can still kill you. Then add the trip hazards.............. I used to have to do electical engineering risk assesments, some of the stuff I saw (and still see) would make me cringe. 

• Like 1

When I am at Astro camp, I put all my electrics inside a large plastic box underneath the mount, This keeps the damp off quite well, it is open topped when imaging, but keeps the electrics off the damp grass.  When I shut up for the night I hook up all the cables as best I can and cover the mount and scopes with a decent scope cover and put a lid on the electrics box and sit my camping hook up on top of that, and that too is neatly protected from the rain by the long scope cover, plus it is heavy enough to stop the lid from blowing off.   This set up has survived many a downpour at camp when you don't want to be re-setting up each day. 

As regards the laptop, at camp I tend to bring it in when I go to bed, unless I am sleeping while I image.

I put the laptop either inside a plastic box with holes as described above, or use a real Heath Robinson bag I made from heavy duty Supermarket bags stitched together, they will also velcro closed when I leave the laptop running.  Don't think I have a photo on this laptop or I'd post it up.   The reason for using these bags is I use 2 laptops when using a dual rig, and if I am sitting inside my Camping Observatory there isn;t room for 2 laptops side by side, so the plastic box idea doesn;t work if I have to place one laptop on top of the other.

Both methods work.

When I am imaging from home I have a SkyPOD Observatory and my laptop seems protected from dew inside that so I don't use a box or a bag.  

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, len2376 said:

I use a NUC next to the pillar outside in a plastic vented box. The heat from the NUC keeps it dry. Laptop inside house connects via wifi to NUC using Win 10 Remote Desktop and NINA. I'm short range, the wifi never skips a beat. All battery powered. I could easily use mains, I choose not to.

There's a mini PC Beelink GKMini Mini PC£219 that isn't over expensive. Also available on Amazon. 

Just because you can fit an RCD to mains stuff be aware it can still kill you. Then add the trip hazards.............. I used to have to do electical engineering risk assesments, some of the stuff I saw (and still see) would make me cringe. 

Electrical safety is something I take serious and do all I can to prevent any issues, there was only one plug currently used on a single outdoor waterproof extension just to keep power going to the laptop as all those USB items draw some power away from the laptop. Trip hazards now that is something I fell foul off on the second outing and the laptop hit the deck, albeit not too hard as the cables reduced the impact somewhat but still darn annoying as it could have ruined it. I might look into the mini PC and set it up wirelessly, so I can access it remotely via PC in the house.

My post was about getting something working now that would do me a few months until I can then fund a purchase of a mini PC or something similar to help reduce the need for me to be out there all the time.

mini PC or something similar to help reduce the need for me to be out there all the time.

Do you by any chance have a second laptop or desktop indoors while you are imaging?

What I do is I start all my imaging off and make sure it is working OK, and then retreat indoors where I watch it all happening via a remote PC via either Anydesk or Teamviewer.  This also not only enables me to watch what is going on but I can also operate the software from indoors.

Saves getting freezing cold outside.

Bit more tricky when i am using the dual rig as I can't access two laptops at the same time and if I log out of Teamviewer I have to go outside again to pick up a new code to access it again. 

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Like 1

Some people do the whole lot from indoors but that relies on controlling your mount remotely and having a lot more fancy software.  

Carole 

• Like 1