Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Histogram

Hazy69

Could anyone tell me what a good histogram should look like after a 180sec exposure?

cannon 400d modified with a tri band filter.. full moon.

80mm scope.

im not sure how to stick a pic on here lol.

That is not a histogram diagram?

A good histogram of an image, should not be 'clipped at the black or white end of the scale, and ideally start from close to (but not touching) the black end.

Edited by Dave_S

Difficult to say, as that is not a Histogram scale representation. If it is, then it starts much too far from the black end, indicating that the black end of the image is severely clipped. 

I'm nor sure if the non pro licence copy of Sharpcap wiil show the. histogram, but if it does, the program is a free download.

Worth trying, as it might answer your question.

Edited by Dave_S

I wouldn't pay too much attention to histograms in aquisition software, most can be adjusted in the software, and are at best just a representation of the real brightness levels. Photoshop or whichever processing software you use will give a far more accurate histogram once your lights are stacked.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to histograms in aquisition software, most can be adjusted in the software, and are at best just a representation of the real brightness levels. Photoshop or whichever processing software you use will give a far more accurate histogram once your lights are stacked.

Good advice 👍

• Like 1