Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Mr usman mughal

Usman mughal

Im new to telescopes but am very intrigued. I travel alot and have 2 cameras. I have captured the andromeda galaxy and have captured the milky way. Im now looking to get the orion starblast 62mm as i travel and its lightweight and i can get to dark skies and look at dso’s and stars. Just need something easy to use and lightweight. Can anyone tell me is this a good travel scope and give other recommendations. Size and weight is number 1 priority travel via aeroplane. Also looked at redcat 51 but with seperate prism it costs double the cost of orion starblast 62mm. Reccomendations plz would prefer refractor as i wont need to learn about collimation

8 hours ago, Usman mughal said:

Im new to telescopes but am very intrigued. I travel alot and have 2 cameras. I have captured the andromeda galaxy and have captured the milky way. Im now looking to get the orion starblast 62mm as i travel and its lightweight and i can get to dark skies and look at dso’s and stars. Just need something easy to use and lightweight. Can anyone tell me is this a good travel scope and give other recommendations. Size and weight is number 1 priority travel via aeroplane. Also looked at redcat 51 but with seperate prism it costs double the cost of orion starblast 62mm. Reccomendations plz would prefer refractor as i wont need to learn about collimation

It looks OK. Although it is f/8.4 so I'm not sure about its efficacy at AP.

R6qbgmtl.jpg

Something like the Altair 60 EDF would probably be more suitable. You'd need a diagonal though (finder, eyepieces etc). Also you'll need a mount and tripod for it to be effective. 

245gkrOl.jpg

An ST80 might be a cheaper alternative. The purists would say that it's only an achromat but they are quite portable. Mine (above) has an aftermarket focuser.

6URWiTTl.jpg

The Sky-Watcher AZ5 DeLuxe mount/tripod is quite portable. 

Edited by Nightspore