Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Canon 350D IR Mod

AdAstraPaul

Hi all I was wondering, I have an old Canon 350D (no longer used) do you consider it worth having a go at modifying it? I have seen a few posts about IR removal and being a retired electrician looks straight forward ? (maybe). Has anyone done it and feel its worth doing on such an old camera? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I have the next one up from that Paul the 400D. My eyesight is not as good as it was so I sub-contracted it out to astronomiser.co.uk who turned it around in 5 days. It cost £95 and was well worth every penny.

There are a couple of online how to's, looks like a fiddly job. Some delicate work required so easier to send it off.

TerryMcK Thanks for the reply, yeah it does look a bit tricky in places but I have new glass's now so what could possibly go wrong! 

• Like 1

Posted by: @AdAstraPaul

TerryMcK Thanks for the reply, yeah it does look a bit tricky in places but I have new glass's now so what could possibly go wrong! 

I lose screws all the time. I hear them ping on the floor never to be seen again! I also have dodgy hips so getting down to look for the errant screws is easy. But getting back up is impossible so I just don't bother ? - I must invest in a magnet!

• Like 1