Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Supernova detection

Luke909

I was wondering if there are any reliable Supernova alert systems, where they notify me as soon as a supernova happens. I have a 20 inch telescope, and I have SNEWS installed. However, since SNEWS is only a detection for nearby galaxies, I was wondering if there is any alert system for supernovae that applies to everything. I just want an alert system that tells me to jump on my telescope as soon as a supernova occurs. Thanks!! 

Hi Luke and welcome to the forum.

No is the answer to that. They just show up and amateurs/professionals alike don't know when they are going to happen. Once one is spotted forums around the world, social media (Twitter etc) abound with the discovery. So social media is probably your best bet. I can't recommend any particular twitter feed as I don't use it.

The good news is that they are usually not too short lived so you might see something for a couple of weeks or so (maybe enen longer) before it diminishes in brightness.

Thank you so much for the reply Terry!

I'm actually a student doing a research project, and I'm looking to run to observatory as soon as a supernova happens. I'm trying to make a light curve for it and make it as complete as possible. I know that there's lists of recent supernovae that update once in a while, is there anyway to keep updated on all supernovae?

I'm not sure. Google is your friend there as that is all we would do when curious.

All the best with your project.