Clear Outside

P Holdsworth

Hi Everyone, not for the first time on Saturday night `Clear outside` showed green for a 3 hour window starting at 11pm so I thought great need at least another 3hours on the pelican nebula. Got everything outside around 10pm and waited and waited and yes you guessed it it never cleared ! In fact it started to rain again so quickly got everything back indoors however with pretty heavy rain `Clear Outside` was still showing green for the next 3 hours. So I just wanted to ask if you guys use any different forecasting app for clear skies which might be a bit more accurate ?

I don't think any of them can get it right reliably.   I tend to use several sites, and if more than one of them is saying the same thing, then I think it is usually a good indication of reliability.

I use CO, BBC Weather and Yr.No, and also take a look at Sat24, as that shows what is coming your way, but doesn't always indicate light cloud at night.

Must be very frustrating for those who have to set up every time. 

Carole 

Clearoutisde will not update the forecast for your position more than once an hour. If you live in an area where the forecast can drastically change within an hour (if you live in the UK then the answer to this is 'Yes') then Clearoutside will not help you too much as far as monitoring during your session.

I currently tend to look at the Radar on my Android phone (I think it is powered by weather.com) - it seems to be the best way, with frequent updates, to check for upcoming showers.

In an ideal world I would have a cloudwatcher and be able to close the shutter on an observatory according to the data I get from it.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions and have had a quick look on darksky.net , Sat 24 and Radar by weather.com and I think going forward will take a look at them all before setting up. To be fair to `Clear Outside` its probably 80 to 90% accurate but that still means 1 in every 10 `set ups` is for nothing & can be a little frustrating. I think if you're going to seriously invest in this hobby a home observatory is a great call. Many thanks again everyone 

Posted by: @Hallingskies

I use a combination of CO, the Met Office and this one...

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.64;0.21;7&l=clouds-total

The Ventusky cloud maps let you know what’s coming.  Metcheck’s IR satellite cloud map is also worth a look.

Thank you for that - looks very useful - I shall use that as well as CO and Met Office.  ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by: @TerryMcK

Scope Nights is pretty accurate and Meteoblue is good too. I gave up on Clear Outside as something changed in the past few months and it has not produced good results since - at least in my area of England.

Yep, I have been using Scope nights for about 3 years and in all the time it has only been 2 or 3 times marginally out, problem is it only works on the iPhone.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although I most often use Windy or Ventusky and satellite pics for realtime info, I stumbled across Metcheck and the forecasts seem more accurate than most.  It successfully predicted a two-hour window of clear skies the other morning.

Don't remember exactly why, but I did switch from the Metcheck astro forecast to the aviation forecast.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jcj380 said:

Although I most often use Windy or Ventusky and satellite pics for realtime info, I stumbled across Metcheck and the forecasts seem more accurate than most.  It successfully predicted a two-hour window of clear skies the other morning.

Don't remember exactly why, but I did switch from the Metcheck astro forecast to the aviation forecast.

Glad you are finding it useful, it has worked mostly for me, compared to the other offerings that seem like they could not predict if the sun would rise each morning. 😉