Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Windows 10 Update Fails

AstronomyUkraine

I finally got my gear shipped out to Holland from Ukraine, including PC's and astro gear. After setting up my PC, I did the usual thing and installed any updates. After installing the few Windows 10 updates, I noticed my search was no longer working, and Update & Security/Recovery in the settings menu was crashing. The culprit was a Windows update KB5015807. After uninstalling the culprit, everything worked fine.

Hoping to get back imaging shortly. My ED80 and other accessories got shipped, but I will be buying a new mount, when they get back in stock. I'm going for the Ioptron CEM70. I already have the tri-pier on it's way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I finally got my gear shipped out to Holland from Ukraine, including PC's and astro gear. After setting up my PC, I did the usual thing and installed any updates. After installing the few Windows 10 updates, I noticed my search was no longer working, and Update & Security/Recovery in the settings menu was crashing. The culprit was a Windows update KB5015807. After uninstalling the culprit, everything worked fine.

Hoping to get back imaging shortly. My ED80 and other accessories got shipped, but I will be buying a new mount, when they get back in stock. I'm going for the Ioptron CEM70. I already have the tri-pier on it's way.

I'm glad you got some of your gear back. Windows updates are notoriously unreliable. Especially Bork Tuesday. This is the main reason I now run Unix (Ubuntu, macOS). 

Check Borkdates Here

Always a good idea to check potential Mickeysoft updates before installing. 

Might be worth considering Ubuntu.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Especially Bork Tuesday. This is the main reason I now run Unix (Ubuntu, macOS). 

The problem I have, is I use SGP for controlling my gear and it only works on Windows. I like the software and I'm loath to change it to NINA or KStars.

3 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The problem I have, is I use SGP for controlling my gear and it only works on Windows. I like the software and I'm loath to change it to NINA or KStars.

It's the eternal Linux dilemma. I'm only visual but I'd love to be able to run SkySafari on Ubuntu (there are Android, macOS and Chrome OS versions). I'm sure there will be a time when the only astronomy software available will be for smart phones. I run SkySafari 7 Pro on Chrome and I'm pretty sure it is just an Android fork. There are already astronomy apps that will only run on iOS. It might be possible to run SGP on WINE. Although I doubt it would be particularly successful. And when they inevitably switch 2G off my dumb phone will become a paperweight lol. I've never regretted leaving Windows though. It's so nice not to worry about antivirus programs hosing my computer with false-positives. Even better, no more Bork Tuesday! Ubuntu updates are little and often. I rarely have to reboot. The upsides to Ubuntu far outweigh the downsides for me. Unfortunately very little proprietary software is developed with Linux in mind.

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 1