Lion Nebula SH2-132 Revision

P Holdsworth

Hi all, here's my final image of the lion nebula for this year . This is now just over 10.5 hrs of 5 min subs of what I think is a really challenging target both in terms of brightness and data processing. I would say the final three of hours on Thursday ( in good conditions)  has made a little bit of difference to the amount of OIII coming through but was probably expecting more . I'm going to keep all my subs and have made a note of the angle of rotation for framing if I do indeed go back to it sometime. I think it's one of those you could easily spend 20+ hours on for marginal gains . Overall though despite it being a bit of a challenge for my set up  I'm pleased I've got an image of it . In my opinion you can definitely see how it got it's name ! 

Cheers Paul 

Lion backyard astro (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. In the absence of any imaging time this week I've reprocessed the Lion Nebula I did a few weeks ago. The revision is probably very subtle but I do think there's a touch more OIII in this one . Even though I spent 10.5 hours on this target is so faint. I think it was worth one last effort on the processing side but that's it now I promise !

Cheers Paul 

On 8/27/2022 at 10:38 AM, P Holdsworth said:

Hi all, here's my final image of the lion nebula for this year . This is now just over 10.5 hrs of 5 min subs of what I think is a really challenging target both in terms of brightness and data processing. I would say the final three of hours on Thursday ( in good conditions)  has made a little bit of difference to the amount of OIII coming through but was probably expecting more . I'm going to keep all my subs and have made a note of the angle of rotation for framing if I do indeed go back to it sometime. I think it's one of those you could easily spend 20+ hours on for marginal gains . Overall though despite it being a bit of a challenge for my set up  I'm pleased I've got an image of it . In my opinion you can definitely see how it got it's name ! 

Cheers Paul 

On 8/27/2022 at 10:38 AM, P Holdsworth said:

Lion backyard astro (1 of 1).jpg

Lion FINAL V4 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

• Like 2

• P Holdsworth changed the title to Lion Nebula SH2-132 Revision