M16 - Eagle Nebula

Greg Yancey

I took this image last night of M16 - Eagle Nebula.  38x300 sec images.  I did do 48, but had to throw away 10 of them due to trees and the roof line of my neighbors house.   I took this using my Celestron 11" SCT and the ASi294MC Pro with the L-Enhance Dual Band filter attached.

Clear Skies!

M16 - Eagle Nebula.jpeg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Sonyme said:

Unusual brain like pattern to the stars surrounding the nebula.   Gary

interesting, I may have pushed to far in the processing of the background...adds character to the picture though....I am still learning pixinsght, and so looking into how to remove some of the stars now.  but for my first try for M16 - it turned out pretty good 🙂

• Like 1

Have a look at the script "Star De-Emphasizer" at https://pixinsight-updates.astroswell.com/ which is based upon Adam Blocks ideas. Essentially it takes a starless image and an image with stars and enables you to de-emphasize the stars rather than eroding the stars as can be done with MorphologicalTransFormation which results in odd looking artefacts.

You need to use something like StarNet or the infinitely better (but paid for) StarXTerminator to produce a starless image though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...