Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Favourite targets?

Popeye

Just wondering what people's favourite targets are to observe?

You know,  the ones that you return to every time you are out.

Personally I have a bit of a obsession with M81/2 and the double cluster

Jupiter and the moon are also a couple targets I can't get enough of!

Nebula all the way at the moment, but once I have my 12 inch light bucket fixed up, galaxies will receive more attention from me.

• 8 months later...

I'm in rather heavy light pollution, so I usually go for open and globular star clusters.  I can see some brighter emission nebulae and just a few galaxies here, so I tend to observe those when I'm at a dark site.  The moon is good at first and last quarters.

When the Pleiades M45 was better situated, I did find it hard to resist. Easy to locate with the naked eye, and superb through a telescope.

There is so much going on in this cluster that differing EPs can be used on the same target to achieve varying views, all of which are good.

I'm super boring. I love looking at the moon through my EvoStar 120.  I'm looking to get grab an alt-az mount so I can specifically have it set up for that purpose.  There's something quite hypnotic about watching the surface pass by.