NGC7822 - Ha(3nm)

Astrobdlbug

I started this project at the end of August and have manged to build up a 10hrs and 35min Ha integration.  It was after I saw an image posted up by @Dmack1 that inspired me to have a go at the same target :

I am working on the Sii and Oiii aquistition, but as we all know its not been too great recently in terms of decent run of clear skies. So I have been playing with the Ha  data I have.

I have setup the NVIDIA CUDA environment that was originally posted up to help accelerate the Starnet++ tool within Pixinsight, however it turns out that because StarXTerminator aslo uses the tensorflow libraries - this environment also accelerates StarXTerminator running in Pixinsight, given tha the new v11.0 AI library ran very slowly on the CPU only I can now process a Linear 6248x4176 image in  about 27 seconds on the RTX3060 GPU...

I have also been experimenting with Generalised Hyperbolic Stretch,  HDRMultiscale transform, Local Histogram Equalisation, Multiscale Linear Transform and  other bits and pieces - so trying to expand my processing skills with Pixinsight.

This is a crop of the full frame to highlight NGC7822, my frame also includes the larger band of nebulosity that surrounds NGC7822, but for now I think this area has most interesting features to explore.

I have not really taken too much care with the stars - I just did a quick stretch and screened them in with Pixelmath - I need to filter out the subs with haze so I can get cleaner star integration -  as they look a bit soft and fuzzy at the moment.

Hopefully I will have a 3 channel narrowband colour image by end of October, can only hope for better skies over next month...

Bryan

957428568_NGC7822_Ha(3nm)copy.thumb.png.458b98eb95fa34107d63b9a824cb79b2.png

• Like 5

Will be great with the other filters too. Wow 27 seconds is quick. It takes a quite few minutes on mine which doesn’t have a fancy graphics card just a bog standard cheapo NVidia. All the crypto miners have pushed up the cost of the high end NVidia stuff and if you can get one they cost the earth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

doesn’t have a fancy graphics card just a bog standard cheapo NVidia. All the crypto miners have pushed up the cost of the high end NVidia stuff and if you can get one they cost the earth.

Have a look at the prices - the crypto miners are not doing so well and NVIDIA is doing crazy things with pricing by dropping all the RTX30 series prices as they have released some new absolute beasts in their new RTX40 series - I think you could pick up a RTX3060 card for £350 - not cheap but then again compared to astro equipment .........

Bryan