Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Altair Wave Series 102mm F7 Super ED Triplet APO

Kevin17

Hi,

The lovely people on here have advised me to look at Altair which i have been doing.

So before i click buy this week on a WO 91 FLT + flattener, can anyone advise if they have experience of the Altair Wave Series 102mm F7 Super ED Triplet APO and how good points / bad points or if they have experienced a side-by-side comparison. there is very little on the internet / youtube etc about the Altair compared with the more well-known brands. I take it that they are the 'same scope' as other brands sell just with the Altair logo on?

Price wise the Altair Wave Series 102mm F7 Super ED Triplet APO + diagonal, guide scope and flattener cost works out no different to the WO 91 FLT + diagonal guide scope and flattener thanks to the Altair accessories being more expensive than the WO ones but you are getting 11mm (+/-12%) more aperture bang for buck which is a plus as well as a longer focal length. 

Icant see anything on the site that explains what the maximum achievable magnification is (certainly not in terms i understand) so i guess i will be calling them about that. Both have nice styling and reports of well machined parts and are in the range of optics that i want; 80-115mm.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

I don't know about the triplets. I don't need a triplet. 

uPFacBW.jpg

I'm pretty sure my 102mm ED-R is made by KUO. The focusers on some scopes can be made by a different OEM than the OTA. 

• 1 month later...

hi,

I already got the WO, had it a couple of months now - no one at altair answered my calls or emails, that makes a big difference to me in deciding what to buy and from who.

cheers for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...