Anyone playing tonight? - Oct 2022 to Dec 2022

Topic will be automatically locked at 23:59

• 2 weeks later...

Binocs out for some outreach. Jupiter above the Moon in the Se and Saturn a bit further to the S. Everybody wowed through the 20x80s even though the planets are smallish through binocs.

Thats odd. It’s been up for a few days but glad you found it again Carole.

Decided to do one thread for the rest of the year as no danger of creating a thread overload like the other forums.

• Like 1

I did manage a couple of hours of Ha on the Jellyfish a few days ago before it disappeared behind a tree. I shot it 2x2 by mistake but took some flats and darks today at 2x2 and did a 1st integration with PI.

Start of a long term project as it is never up for long at home and disappears behind houses or trees. I guess it is shy!

No processing yet just raw integration of 20 x 6 minute subs.

image.thumb.png.e17204615b9e3421d95a5910b34f1a44.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over the summer I've been writing my own ascom driver and updating my mount arduino code to get goto implemented. It's taking commands nicely now from stellarium and apt including plate solving, and a simulator with identical boards and software that I mocked up is moving the motors nicely. I got a faster and overall better mini pc for the obsy which I'll change out. So finally if/when it stops raining I'm going to try it on the real mount. Desperate to get on targets easily and image. Then finally swap to the 16" lightbridge ota after giving it a good shakedown and hopefully getting some nice results with the 11.5". Although looking forward to using the nice crayford on the lightbridge, plus it collimates much easier. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Demon said:

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed here as well Nick. Sounds like a great project. I've not got any data captured from October so far. On the few clear nights we had so far I was out doing other things.

• Like 1

All rigged up, obsy open new mini pc all setup and now in obsy. New ascom driver talking to mount and driving it nicely (only had to change dec direction). Cameras talking to phd2 and apt. Apt talking to stellarium and stellarium talking to ascom and mount. Just need the clouds to clear to finally test MY goto...and get imaging...

Edited by Demon
  • Like 1

It was mostly cloudy but I managed to get one dubious run in and a check of the final position with another plate solve. It went in exactly the correct direction but looks to have only gone a quarter of the way. I think I've missed the controller pulses out of the equation working out the required pulses which likely needs four for one pulse. Just reading and checking up now...almost there...

Gutted, was out last night again trying to shake down the new system in between the clouds (of which there were many). System was working nicely except for some reason the plate solving wasn't playing ball. The good news is that when its playing ball I've had it plate solve in approx. 8 seconds with such small field. However when I fed last nights image directly into astrometry website this morning this is where it says I was...ahhhh... (note: not my image - just the coordinates, angle and field of view from astrometry sent to legacysurvey).

image.png.e9843b3ba1be34cad4781f88929a3e04.png

My quick snap below...(not even collimated or checked polar alignment and still need to get coma corrector as only testing but tracking reliably and nicely at 1 arcsec total error)...

Edited by Demon

Just had an aeroplane fly through the frame bottom to top in the image so the camera is actually through 90 degrees to actuality. Didn't manage to hit the capture button in time 😞