Some of my gear for lunar and planetary observing

Scopeman

My Skymax 180, SW EQ6R Pro mount, IOptron Tri-Pier, WO FLT91 Apo Triplet refractor and Celestron 127Mak. Lost my mojo a bit after losing my Dad in the latter part of last year, need some inspiration to get me going again.

IMG_20220128_152107695.jpg

IMG_20220205_165353805.jpg

IMG_20220303_160622941.jpg

IMG_20220303_160631039.jpg

IMG_20220107_130111578.jpg

IMG_20220209_135632741.jpg

Edited by Scopeman
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Thank you. Yes, that's right, the mount was an SLT GoTo mount, not the best for stability but the Alt/Az GoTo works well.

I nearly bought one just to get a 127mm Mak with a dovetail in the same place.

B2BCkIX.jpg

Eventually I managed to buy one bundled with an AZ5, which I didn't originally want.

2iPzcJB.jpg

The AZ5 ended up being used a lot with my smaller scopes. I never thought the AZ5 quite carried the 127mm.

IPUMKTq.jpg

I always intended it for the Porta II.

4 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

That's nice, is it a manual mount? Tripod looks nice and sturdy. My Celestron 127 is a nice scope, good optics, I might see if I can get a small alt/az GoTo mount for a quick set up.

It's manual. It's a Porta II mount on a Vixen TL-130 tripod. It's very versatile.

uPFacBW.jpg

Does the mount fit with no adaptors of any kind? I'd like something like this as a grab and go for the 127Mak. I assume you had to but that tripod seperately? Wondering if that mount head would fit on my EQ^R Pro tripod

Edited by Scopeman

19 hours ago, Scopeman said:

Does the mount fit with no adaptors of any kind? I'd like something like this as a grab and go for the 127Mak. I assume you had to but that tripod seperately? Wondering if that mount head would fit on my EQ^R Pro tripod

They're both Vixen so they are compatible with each other. In fact you can buy the combination bundled. I have two of these, the first was bought as a bundle. Vixen have three tripods. Bresser sell them. The only difference between my two is that the bundled tripod had Vixen written in red on the legs.

yG6n2MU.jpg

Thanks for that. The Hal-30 looks quite like the one that comes with the mount. I was going to try and use my EQ6 pripod but I don't think it is going to work, I'll try and see what the tripod is like that comes with it, the Vixens are a bit pricey for what thaey are.

Edited by Scopeman

1 hour ago, Scopeman said:

Thanks for that. The Hal-30 looks quite like the one that comes with the mount. I was going to try and use my EQ6 pripod but I don't think it is going to work, I'll try and see what the tripod is like that comes with it, the Vixens are a bit pricey for what thaey are.

You're welcome. My original Porta II came with the standard Vixen tripod. I bought the HAL later.

A0hgVvv.jpg

You can see it above and below. My ST80 was pretty stable like this. Unfortunately I found the HAL a bit heavy with my disability. 

XfAJGTx.jpg

If I'm up to it I use it with a Vixen half-pillar and put my Starwave on it. I can use 2" accessories this way.

In your opinion, which is the better, the Hal130 or the TL130? I assume on the HAL the mini pier extension is seperate, is that expensive?  Also, are to fittings on top of the Hal legs that join the top, are they metal or plastic?

Edited by Scopeman

39 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

In your opinion, which is the better, the Hal130 or the TL130? I assume on the HAL the mini pier extension is seperate, is that expensive?  Also, are to fittings on top of the Hal legs that join the top, are they metal or plastic?

Depends what you mean by better. The HAL will carry more weight. Although, in my experience Vixen are a bit optimistic about the load carrying potentials of their tripods. But so is every manufacturer. The half-pillar's are about 188 quid now. The HAL's fittings are all metal. It's well built, although for me it's a tad heavy. I use the pillar so the f/7, 102mm tube clears the mount. You wouldn't necessarily need it with a short OTA like a Mak. The TL-130 is lighter although there is no accessory tray. This can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on which way you regard it. For me, it's actually a convenience, as it's less stuff to carry or put together. Swings and roundabouts. 

19 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Lovely, thanks for all the info, I think I may go for the Hal130, just looks more sturdy to me.

You're welcome. Yes, it's a nice tripod. With the pillar on the Porta II it will hold about 5kg well. My Starwave is around 4kg and 2" accessories can add a further kilo to that. 

Hi,

The Porta 2 arrived this morning, I think the only bit I don't like are the push on plastic controls, so ordered some proper flexible ones with the thumbscrews. First impressions are the mount seems fine, the tripod also seems quite stable, not sure it warrants paying out for the Hal-130 to be honest. The only thing I don't really like about it is the plastic leg top fittings but again I don't think it warrants laying out £200+ for the HAL-130, but that remains to be seem I guess.

20221013_110414.jpg

20221013_110425.jpg

Edited by Scopeman