Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Red dot finder on/off switch

Larry

I used the xt8 to observe Jupiter the other night. When I went to turn the red dot finder on I turned one of alignment knobs instead. Why wouldn't they make the on/off switch different than the alignment knob-wheels? I'm going to attach a piece of sticky foam to the on/off wheel so that I don't turn the wrong one.

4 hours ago, Larry said:

I used the xt8 to observe Jupiter the other night. When I went to turn the red dot finder on I turned one of alignment knobs instead. Why wouldn't they make the on/off switch different than the alignment knob-wheels? I'm going to attach a piece of sticky foam to the on/off wheel so that I don't turn the wrong one.

I used to do that regularly when I used the plastic type reflex finders. IME they tended to lose their alignment accuracy over time anyway. 

Iy0JBjM.jpg

Another thing I've noticed is that if the reticule selector on the metal 'gunsight' type is changed it can also throw the finder off.

tjUVQfA.jpg

I usually set them to the single dot. Anything else is a bit bright. Once set-up with one reticule choice it's best to stick with it.

40 minutes ago, Larry said:

Thanks for reply. I've got the one on the left. 

You're welcome. The Altair RDF has only a red LED, unlike the vast majority of the others which also have a green option. The Altair red dot isn't so bright however, and is more conducive to astronomy.

Edited by Nightspore