A start on NGC281 The PacMan Nebula

Greg M

I've decided to start my first 40-hour project. The plan is to capture 12 hours each of Ha, OIII, & SII and then 4 hours of RGB with my 2600MC for the star colors. I'm not sure how long this project will take to complete but hopefully, I can finish it this season. Last night I managed to capture 7hrs and 20mins of Ha data from my backyard via 44x10min (600sec) subs.

Explore Scientific ED152 CF APO telescope, TS/Optics 1.0x Flattener, ZWO ASI2600MM camera, Chroma 3nm Ha filter, iOptron CEM70EC mount, ZWO ASI290mm/OAG guide camera.
Captured with NINA V2 HF2, Processed with PixInsight 1.8.9-1
WBPP - Integrated the 44 subs with 25 Flats and a 600sec Master Dark and 3sec Master Dark to match the Flats.
Dynamic Crop - Histogram Stretch - Dark Structure Enhance - Noise Xterminator - export as JPG 100%spacer.png

Edited by Greg M
  • Like 2

Great Start - to an epic project.

Already excellent detail in the Ha, have you thought about trying GHS stretch as there's a lot of dynamic range in this target that histogram stretch pretty much ignores (unless you get deep into the clipping thresholds etc...)

Or perhaps experiment a bit with the HDRMultiScale Trasform and then Local Histogram Equalisation in your workflow for this project.

Look forward to the next update

Bryan

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Astrobdlbug said:

Great Start - to an epic project.

Already excellent detail in the Ha, have you thought about trying GHS stretch as there's a lot of dynamic range in this target that histogram stretch pretty much ignores (unless you get deep into the clipping thresholds etc...)

Or perhaps experiment a bit with the HDRMultiScale Trasform and then Local Histogram Equalisation in your workflow for this project.

Look forward to the next update

Bryan

Thanks for the tips Bryan. I'm still a rank newbie with PixInsight and learning new things every time I open the program. I've heard of GHS and HDRMultiScale Transform but I've never attempted to use them. At this point, I am just collecting data and as I said, this is only a tiny fraction of what I hope to gather. I'll have to look up some YT training videos on those methods and give them a try when I gather more data.

I'm headed out to a dark site tonight and hope to gather around 3hrs of color data with the 2600MC before the moon rises at 11 pm local time. Then I'm going to complete the 4hrs40mins of Ha data with the 2600MM so I'll be one step closer.