Jupiter 14 Oct 2022

There is a strong body of opinion that high resolution planetary imaging isn't possible with a fast jetstream parked overhead. Whilst my own experience indicates that is a reasonable general rule, there have been several occasions when that has not been proved true. Take the night of 14/15 October as an example...

My wife and I had been binge watching the David Tenent 4 part series "Inside Man" and were heading for bed around midnight, but as usual I popped my head outside first and to my surprise there was a clear sky. I checked a couple of weather sites, including the jetstream forecast and thought, No, I'll be wasting my time, then thought again, well why not give it a go as it only takes a few minutes to open the observatory.

Here's what the jetsream forecast for midnight was showing.....

Jetstream_15Oct22_0000.JPG.08029792837b6de8427afe7a38d6d7d7.JPG

So how did I get this nice image...?

Jupiter_2022Oct14_23479_gdbl_rgb.thumb.jpg.a243971410823beb52cfd4c1a2d8602b.jpg

It's far better than I saw a few nights previously with the jetsream out of the way and one of my better Jupiter images this apparaition. I managed 5 x 6 min SERs over about 45 mins before for settled in and shut me down. The above image comprising best 6000 frames from 3 of the de-rotated and quality graded SERs, so 18000 frames in total.

My location in south Norfolk was right in the middle of the flow and I suspect that whilst the atmosphere was fast moving, it was doing so at a smooth, stable rate (laminar flow), not mixing as much as it might do at the edges of the stream. It's just a contention, but nevertheless, not for the first time I was able to image successfully through the jetstream.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Astonishing results with a high degree of detail. I love it.

I also watched the David Tennant/ Stanley Tucci Inside Man production. Believable in the US prison with Tucci and his cohort, less so over in the UK with Tennant’s vicar character and associates. But still a watchable show.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Astonishing results with a high degree of detail. I love it.

I also watched the David Tennant/ Stanley Tucci Inside Man production. Believable in the US prison with Tucci and his cohort, less so over in the UK with Tennant’s vicar character and associates. But still a watchable show.

Thanks Terry, we just can never predict what the conditions will actually allow until seeing the target on screen, hence it's always worth taking a look.

We enjoyed Inside Man, not sure whether any of it is believable, but it was a good watch, with several unexpected turns.