Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Vixen Half Pier & Slow Motion Controls

Scopeman

26 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Not sure I like the look of that last one, what is the top piece all about? I do have a few TV Plossls on my case too.

It's weird but quite clever. 

hB52xUN.jpg

The zoom bit is what you can see raised. Imagine a zooming Plossl at a constant 50º AFOV. The Nagler 3-6mm is a bit pricey nowadays, but it really is good.

25 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

I also have the Baader planetary eyepiece set

I have some BCO's and the Eudiascopics. I use the 31mm & 36mm Aspherics and BHZ the most though.

7kl9Tau.jpg

Yes, I got the hyroglyphic instructions too, lol. I don't think I'd have any zoom lenses as I don't think they would give an image as good as a dedicated focal length eyepiece tbh.

1 hour ago, Scopeman said:

Yes, I got the hyroglyphic instructions too, lol. I don't think I'd have any zoom lenses as I don't think they would give an image as good as a dedicated focal length eyepiece tbh.

Depends on the zoom. I'd say the Nagler, BHZ and Pentax XL are as good as anything else. I use them alongside fixed focal length eyepieces. Which most people find bizarre. Some are surprisingly good.

sLLFMp8.jpg

"We three zooms of Orient are."

At the end of the day a zoom will always be a bit of a compromise. Plus, something everyone seems to forget or disregard; zooms are fun.

Edited by Nightspore

How do you find the Amici prism diagonal, is it better than dielectric on lunar/planetary? They are supposed to have a better contrast but I have never compared them.

1 hour ago, Scopeman said:

How do you find the Amici prism diagonal, is it better than dielectric on lunar/planetary? They are supposed to have a better contrast but I have never compared them.

I tend to use conventional prisms for dedicated planetary observing. Apart from the TV Enhanced Aluminium and Baader Sital (ceramic) BBHS mirrors. Dielectrics can often show too much scatter. 

WxfxB67.jpg

The Amicis are predominantly for dedicated lunar viewing. For the past few years I've used the Baader Zeiss specification BBHS Amici. These are the only Amicis that have the same acuity and contrast as a normal prism. I discussed it here.

Edited by Nightspore

10 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

I have the Baader 2" prism for the big 180 but was thinking about getting one for the 127

https://www.365astronomy.com/baader-amici-prism-45-degree-1.25-inch-with-24mm-free-aperture

I have the 2" Baader Zeiss Amici as well. Although it's only for rich field/deep sky. I don't know who actually makes the 45º Baader Amici (Long Perng?). 

Too expensive for me. I see it's a T2, is that the same as 2" as I only want a 1.25" for the 127 Mak as I mentioned above

15 minutes ago, Scopeman said:

Too expensive for me. I see it's a T2, is that the same as 2" as I only want a 1.25" for the 127 Mak as I mentioned above

Both 2" and 1.25" eyepiece holders/nosepieces can be threaded into the housing. Although I'd imagine there would be vignetting with 2". 

xMmEdn6.jpg

I usually use a 1.25" helical focuser, ideal for Mak's with no fine focus.

I may go for the WO one then if you think it is worth it? Any diffraction spikes show on bright images at all? The 2" I have is too heavy with scope for the AP2 so trying to lighten it up a bit, plus don't need 2" for planetary on a Mak

Edited by Scopeman

6 hours ago, Scopeman said:

As I said, I can't afford that one. This one I was asking about?  https://www.365astronomy.com/baader-amici-prism-45-degree-1.25-inch-with-24mm-free-aperture

The 90° William Optics is only three quid more than the 45° 'Baader' in your link above. I'm also pretty convinced the Baader is the same as my WO 45° Amici (either Kunming United Optics or Long Perng IMO). The problem with 45° Amici prisms is that there will be noticeable vignetting. 

I may go for the WO one then if you think it is worth it? Any diffraction spikes show on bright images at all? The 2" I have is too heavy with scope for the AP2 so trying to lighten it up a bit, plus don't need 2" for planetary on a Mak

You won't notice the diffraction spike while observing the Moon. It will be noticeable with bright stars and planets though. 

VVdmfATm.jpg

For years I used this old resin-bodied GSO Amici for lunar and rich field observing. It was rare to see the diffraction spike unless I viewed any bright stars. In some twilight conditions even planets can sometimes be observed without seeing the spike. 

xTGvRlGm.jpg

There isn't much visually between the cheaper Amici prisms. The main differences are with the housing build quality. 

Edited by Nightspore

This is my Altair 2" prism diagonal and my Baader 2" mirror diagonal

20221020_233735.jpg

20221020_233806.jpg

Those Altair prisms have a good reputation. 

kRySNUT.jpg

I like the APM-style posilock eyepiece holders. Not sure who actually manufactures them. It adds some weight to the housing though. This Altair dielectric is 525g (without adapter) even with carbon fibre side plates. I can't tell any visual difference between the Altair dielectric and my 2" TV Everbrite. Although the Everbrite is a bit lighter at 455g without the adapter. 

Edited by Nightspore

I think #I may have a Baader 2" Click Lock in my box that I could change the Altair one over. Yes it does have good reviews and I bought it based on those reviews.

Yeah, a lot of people have praised the Altair 2" prisms, particularly that one. IDK who actually manufacture these but I suspect KUO. They do make some excellent products. I believe APM marketed them as well at one time.

Nvf04vn.jpg

There should be only three tiny grub screws holding it on to the housing.

sXYQLqZ.jpg

This (above) is an old jpeg from file (slightly tweaked in GIMP). It must be old as it shows my old privacy fence before I replaced it. I actually remember taking this photo. It was the first time I ever used my Orion ST80 after I'd fitted a GSO (TS Optics) aftermarket focuser. I was really proud I achieved this with one hand. It's mounted on my original Porta II/HAL-130. It was set up to observe a setting Jupiter in twilight before some planned rich field observing. The diagonal is the GSO Amici. The Barlow is a 2.5x GSO and the eyepiece is a 6mm GSO Plossl. There was a Baader Fringe Killer/Neodymium stack threaded into the diagonal. The GSO Barlow only really gives about 2.25x so I calculated the magnification to around 150x. I recall easily seeing the GRS and no diffraction spike.

Edited by Nightspore

The WO 1.25" just arrived with an OVL 2" to 1.25" twist lock adapter, this is so I can reduce the weight of the FLT at the back when it is on the AP2. WO makes quality gear I have to say, well impressed, only downside is it doesn't have an ep twist lock.

20221021_155332.jpg