Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Voltage regulator for lithium battery...?

Hallingskies

I recently got hold of a 40ah Li battery that I intend to use to power an mobile imaging set up with an RPi. Just wondered if I need to protect my equipment with a 12v regulator on the battery output?  

I wouldn't have thought so unless the battery is over 14v.  I think most astro kit, such as mounts, is rated up to 15v.  Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.  (RPi needs 5v, of course but guess you know that).

• Like 1

@gina

thanks yes I have a converter for the RPi, was thinking about the ccd.  I measured voltage across the Battery terminals as 14.3v hence the question

Try measuring the battery voltage when it is under load connected to the equipment. As Gina says most gear will be fine to 15v.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The person/company to ask is of course the equipment manufacturer.

In the past many manufacturers just said '12V' but these days most publish upper & lower voltage limits.

It helps sort out the manufacturers who think about how and where their products will be used, from those who may not.