Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

GinaRep Concorde 3D Printer

Gina

The box was built from high quality hardwood plywood panels 18mm x 610mm x 610mm (2ft x 2ft). The size was derived from a previous printer build which used a casing made from 500mm square acrylic panels with 3D printed corners connecting the panels, except for the base and back which were plywood, so I searched for ready cut pieces of plywood this size or larger and came up with the 2ft square sheets (a bit bigger than I really wanted but not by much).

This CAD model gives an idea of the arrangement of some of the parts within the box as I envisaged it before starting the build.  Some aspects were changed as the build went along to fix problems and improve the functioning.  X and Y rails were and still are aluminium extrusion "V" rail with the carriages running on them with matching ball bearing wheels. The Z axis also used "V" rail vertical pieces with 3D printed Z carriages running on them and supporting the print bed. The Z carriages held the bed level with any remaining deviation from truly level being compensated for in the firmware using Z probing immediately prior to printing. I'll say more about the "V" rail system later.

1177398132_Screenshotfrom2019-01-0818-19-05.png.f7b4522c7caac59c929f792fbc366907.png

This CAD model with the box removed shows the first design with the Z stepper motors mounted under the base of the box.  This arrangement was changed later with the Z motors mounted inside the box and a much more rigid Z carriage and rail system.  Also, the original 500mm square bed was changed to 400mm as 500mm square proved impractical.

595458679_Screenshotfrom2019-01-0818-27-40.png.96547afa483eadc02bc16e4c33095c85.png

All the running rails are V-Slot aluminium extrusion and sold by ooznest (https://ooznest.co.uk/product/v-slot-linear-rail-20x20mm-cut-to-size/).  The X ad Y rails are 20mm x 20mm cross-section and the Z uses a much bigger extrusion called C-Beam.  https://ooznest.co.uk/product/c-beam-linear-rail-cut-to-size/

20mm x 20mm extrusion showing a standard size wheel.  I use the "Mini Wheels" which are a bit smaller.
V-Slot-Examples-2.jpg

The final Z running arrangement used a variant of this, with a longer (higher) gantry plate and motor drive at the top with timing belt drive. (Click image to enlarge).

1486321981_Screenshotfrom2020-10-2212-18-23.thumb.png.dafd4dad84166148deb9e0b9835c5bc2.png

This photo shows the final Z drive.  A standard size (40mm) NEMA17 was plenty powerful enough

ZmotorDrive.thumb.JPG.043e63b55b709a95c00f1ea00a877927.JPG
  • Like 1