I am back into the fold with the Skywatcher Explorer 190MN DS Pro EQ6-R Pro Telescope

So many options available to us these days, and I finally scraped enough after working hard to fund this setup.

My aim was a lighter set up than the previous 254 mm Newtonian telescope on a NEQ6 mount, albeit the mount is essentially the same the optical tube assembly is a 190 mm Maksutov Newtonian so the best of both worlds in one and no coma corrector to purchase as well as more consistent collimation. The camera will still be the Canon EOS 7D for now, as this had done me well in the past. Astrophotography and the kit associated has certainly jumped up in price by quite a margin!

Edited by Cumbrianwolf
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Demon said:

Interesting and I will look forward to images from that beastie.

Ps I'm just getting a 16" on my mount but if it doesn't work out I know where there is a 190mn also...

I am hoping it bridges a gap between the Newtonian and a good APO refractor, at of course a more modest price and weight. Speaking of weight, I have read a lot online about these scopes and their weight and to be honest it weighs less than the 254 mm Newtonian I did have, albeit not by much as in 14.8 kg vs 12.3 kg as well as not being such a sail in the wind or rather any light breeze. Now to await weather and find time away from work to get it in action.

I think my first shot will be M42 to compare with the one I took on the Newtonian as a base image.

As for your 16" you have a pure photon bucket but any breeze / breath of wind will have it moving around like its doing an Irish jig, unless tamed by an EQ8 or similar mount. 🙂

Edited by Cumbrianwolf

I think youre right about the mix between a newt and refrac, more aperture but excellent optics at a middle ground price. Good luck. Ps my mount could lift a few eq8s. Fingers crossed it works as well but hoping, does with heavier 11.5. Just cleaned mirror and going back in now... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon said:

I think youre right about the mix between a newt and refrac, more aperture but excellent optics at a middle ground price. Good luck. Ps my mount could lift a few eq8s. Fingers crossed it works as well but hoping, does with heavier 11.5. Just cleaned mirror and going back in now... 

I should have noted from your profile picture with regard to the mount in question, you should have no issues with that, lol. My brain is scrambled with the darn bugs that are flying around as I managed to catch it from work, oh the joys of Xmas.  I will admit that the aspects of a fast Newtonian for imaging was a good choice with my original 10" Newtonian as I could capture data in around 30-60 seconds and to be honest less than 30 seconds was the optimum otherwise it would over expose on the DSLR even at 400 ISO on the camera, so I gained the added bonus of less noise as the sensor chip would not overheat during the exposures.

Good luck and enjoy the 16" as even via visual observations it will to show tremendous detail and some natural colours on certain objects, I know my 14" DOB opened my own eyes up to what could actually be resolved for the human eye. I am probably teaching you to suck eggs or beginning to sound like that, but others will hopefully glean something from my ramblings. 😉