M42 - Narrowband - First Attempt

Greg Yancey

So this is my first time working in Narrowband, and going after my favorite target...M42.  I am having alot of fun doing this project!  using my C11 with C11v4 Hyperstar and ASi1600MM Pro with Baader Filters.  I am currently waiting on clear skies again so that I can get the Oiii data.

Ha - 152x60sec shots using the Baader Ha 3.5nm f/2 UHS filter
Sii - 120x60 Sec shots using the Baader Sii 4nm f/2 UHS filter

total integration time so far is 4  hrs and 32 minutes.

Currently I am playing around with Pixinsight doing different color combinations to see how M42 comes out

Clear Skies!

hoo_M42_2.jpg

hoo_M42_3.jpg

Edited by Greg Yancey
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Greg Yancey said:

So this is my first time working in Narrowband, and going after my favorite target...M42.  I am having alot of fun doing this project!  using my C11 with C11v4 Hyperstar and ASi1600MM Pro with Baader Filters.  I am currently waiting on clear skies again so that I can get the Oiii data.

Ha - 152x60sec shots using the Baader Ha 3.5nm f/2 UHS filter
Sii - 120x60 Sec shots using the Baader Sii 4nm f/2 UHS filter

total integration time so far is 4  hrs and 32 minutes.

Currently I am playing around with Pixinsight doing different color combinations to see how M42 comes out

Clear Skies!

hoo_M42_2.jpg

hoo_M42_3.jpg

Great first attempts with narrowband. One thing you could try, is apply a dose of HDRMultiscaleTransform to the blown out core, it should be able to reduce it noticeably.

23 minutes ago, Greg Yancey said:

Awesome!  I'll give that a try! 🙂

No problem. A setting of 6 or 7 layers usually works best. Check the to lightness and light mask boxes. They give me the best results. Just test on a preview window until you are happy with the result. Using a Lum mask with keep the process to the areas that need it.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Thanks 1