IC443

TerryMcK

23 minutes ago, MartinS said:

Nice image Terry, reminds me of purple haze. How well behaved do you find your 294 camera is reference cal files?

Thanks Martin. It is the mono camera which has a different sensor IMX492 to the colour version which is the IMX294. The camera should really be called ASI492MM 😄. The slight amount of starburst pattern from sensor glow is calibrated out perfectly. I do have an issue with the filters I am using on this however. They are 1.1/4" ones and they are at the upper limit of compatibility with the sensor/scope combo - they are causing vignetting. So I have just taken delivery of a 7 position EFW which takes 36mm filters. Antlia 3nm filters are on the cards for the new year - yet more expense!

Setting 120 gain on the camera switches in the HCG high gain mode and dramatic decrease in read noise. It also has bin 1x1 mode that changes to 2.3um pixels and resolution goes up to 8228x5644 - but the file size increases from 22MB to almost 90MB and it goes down to 12bit! I don't use that much as 2x2 4.6um pixels in 14bit is fine. 

Overall I'm very pleased with this camera and it is well matched with the 103 scope (apart from the filters).

• Thanks 1

Terry, Wow !! - very impactful Jellyfish and I like the purple theme - the detail that you've extracted with deconvolution is fantastic.  The way that the massive star Mu Geminorum, formally known as Tejat , at the base of the nebula has been tamed is outstanding - assume BlurXT and separate star process to contain the brightness and bloat  ??, just love the Rus Croman tools.

You will get a lot of benefit with the move to 3nm Antlia, just take a deep breath and hit the buy button 🙂

Bryan

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Astrobdlbug said:

assume BlurXT and separate star process to contain the brightness and bloat 

Thanks Bryan. Yes extensive usage of Russell's tools and some masking to get rid of the haloing around that star. If I were to do it again I would revert to 30 second or 1 minute subs on this target. Just do a lot more of them. I did shorter subs on Orion Horsehead last year and the results were great with no blow out of Alnitak. In fact I captured a smaller star adjacent to it.

The only issue with many subs is it takes ages to integrate them all.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 12:05 PM, TerryMcK said:

Antlia 3nm filters are on the cards for the new year - yet more expense!

Spooky Terry, I have just purchased a QHY 294M, QHY FW3 plus full set of 36mm Antlia V-Pro and 3nm HSO filters. Planning to use this setup with my Redcat.

5 minutes ago, MartinS said:

Spooky Terry, I have just purchased a QHY 294M, QHY FW3 plus full set of 36mm Antlia V-Pro and 3nm HSO filters. Planning to use this setup with my Redcat.

Nice one. The 294M in 1x1 binning mode will be a great match for the Redcat 51 when using the smaller 2.3 um pixel size. If using the larger Redcat 71 switch back to the default 2x2 bin with 4.6 um pixel and it should be a good match for that too. Or just experiment with either mode.

I think the QHY version uses a different gain scale than the ZWO to switch into high gain mode. On the ZWO it is 120 gain but only in 2x2 binning. I think the QHY is about 1600ish - you will have to look at the manual.

It looks like there are going to be cloudy nights in the new year with all the purchases.

• Like 1