Orion

P Holdsworth

Hi all, I've only just got round to processing just over 2 hours I got on the Orion nebula last week. This is a blend of 10 second, 1 minute and 3 minute subs stacked in APP and processed in pixinsight. Even though I've being doing astro photography for 3 years it's actually only the second time I've imaged it. I think even though this one isn't exactly how I would like it it's a huge improvement on my original 3 years ago and for me that's half the fun of the hobby. Looks like I need to do another darks library ( one year old) as there's some amp glow top right that wasn't completely removed. 

Wishing everyone a really good Christmas 🌲 

Cheers Paul 

Orion forum final (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 8

Such a favourite of mine - always appears such a 'simple' target - but in reality very tricky to capture and process the dynamic range and hence the essence of the nebula.

Paul, you've got the dynamic range and the outer nebulosity well balanced with the core, not so much so that the inherent brightness of the nebula is lost - Did you used the L-Extreme ?  I like the colour the filter gives a very appealing muddy red to the nebulousity, overall a very well balanced M42,

Bryan

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for your comments. I did indeed use the L-Extreme filter for this one & I agree Bryan it does seem to produce a nice tone of red to the images. The only issue I've found with it is it does have a problem with halos from time to time but other than that it's an excellent filter for a OSC.

Cheers Paul