Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

ST4 guider cable needed (NOW SORTED)

Cumbrianwolf

Low and behold I have a new ASI120MM Mini camera for guiding but managed to lose the ST4 cable during the house move, or I accidentally included it in a sale with another camera I once had, either way I am a bit stuck. I am on the lookout for a replacement ST4 cable if you have one that I could purchase from yourself as finding one online that fits is difficult as I bought one that was supposed to fit it, but the plugs are too narrow!

Edited by Cumbrianwolf
  • Sad 1

Can you ask the retailer you bought the camera if they can get you a new one?

I have two I guess I could sell you one if it is going to fit, but my camera is an old QHY5 camera.   Could measure the width of the plug if you like.  It is pretty old now but still works. 

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Can you ask the retailer you bought the camera if they can get you a new one?

I have two I guess I could sell you one if it is going to fit, but my camera is an old QHY5 camera.   Could measure the width of the plug if you like.  It is pretty old now but still works. 

Carole 

Thank you for the offer, I have just sent a message off to the supplier and also ZWO direct as I cannot seem to source the one I need online. As far as I can tell, it is a : 6P4C
AKA: RJ12, sometimes used as and called RJ11.
Size: 9.65 mm Wide x 6.6 mm High, (looking on the front face)

I may be able to use a telephone cable if the cable is not a crossed one, I shall hold out for the word back and see what happens.

Just ordered the correct cable this time around, I won't be loosing this one, that is for sure!

No longer needed.

• Like 1

A telephone cable won’t work as not all wires are connected in the plug only 4 as opposed to 6 in the one that came with the guide camera. Glad that you got the correct one though.

• Thanks 1

Oh it's not a telephone cable I have ordered, that was my bad explanation. The one on order is a none OEM version of the cable. Still cannot find the original that should have been in this house after the move. Sods law will come to bite me once I have the new one delivered.

5 hours ago, Demon said:

If it's wrong or is delayed in post can you just guide through mounts ascom interface...

I was wondering that very thing as this new version of the mount has the USB port and I have set that up to control it but have yet to figure out if I can also guide via USB. My power adapter has arrived, and I will be trying a few indoor experiments tonight.

Great and good luck. I'm pleased as tonight I found my guiding bug in my arduino code. I also started adding the ascom hooks for guiding through the mount interface rather than st4 - hence why it popped in my head when I saw your post. 

• Thanks 1

You will be able to guide via the mount. Essentially if you use the free software PHD2 as the guide software it gives you the choice of which camera to use which in your case will be the ASI120MM. Then it will give you the choice of how to guide, via the ST4 port on the camera or the mount. Choose the mount and you can forget about the ST4. Most people guide this way and Dylan O Donnell gives a Youtube video explaining how to do it below. He actually burns the ST4 cable but i don’t advocate that as you might still want to use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a really funny video!

Guiding through the USB lead in the back of the guide camera is the PHD2 recommended method too. Apart from anything else you don't need to re-calibrate every time you move your telescope.

Regards

Graeme

Thank you for that post, I am going to watch and digest the information now, so much easier if it were all through one cable.

Update that totally did what I needed and filled the voids. Can't thank you enough Terry. So much better via USB.

• Thanks 1

P.s. One of our society members just bought an eq6rpro for christmas and our society has a 190mn so I've suggested in due course he has a go - same logic as you are going down except he's only had small retractors so going opposite way but I can help with collimation. Glad st4 alternative worked - should be little difference if any...

Edited by Demon
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Demon said:

P.s. One of our society members just bought an eq6rpro for christmas and our society has a 190mn so I've suggested in due course he has a go - same logic as you are going down except he's only had small retractors so going opposite way but I can help with collimation. Glad st4 alternative worked - should be little difference if any...

I think for the price per performance it's a good choice as a good refractor in a similar vain would be so much more costly, bulky and heavy. This OTA is heavy but not bulky with it, the mount is the only part that's a handful. I can't see collimation being all that different to a Newtonian especially with a good laser, some forums make it sound so complicated.

GREAT news I did not need the ST4 guide cable after watching the YouTube clip above, all cables are now via direct USB or a USB hub and N.I.N.A, PHD2, mount and camera(s) are working together in harmony. Now time away from work and some good weather together is needed.

• Like 1