Witch Head Nebula

Astrobdlbug

11 hours ago, MartinS said:

was it the IDAS filter that created the star halos?

Martin, yes I suspect it’s reflection between the filter and focal reducer.

I may try and reverse the filter orientation as I had the filter out of the 2” holder for a different configuration and may have put it back into holder with incorrect side facing telescope optics - I’ll give that a try and see if it makes any difference 

Bryan

• Like 1

I have the same filter and essentially the male threaded side needs to be closest to the sensor to get the glass the right way around. I had to get a very expensive M48 male/male adapter to orient it the correct way as the reducer I was using at the time only had female threads on the sensor side. I even tried a ZWO 2” filter drawer but that leaked light so has been consigned to the bin.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I had to get a very expensive M48 male/male adapter

That is the bane of this hobby, the more you venture into AP the larger your adapter set becomes. When I finally had a good selection of M64,M48 and T2 adapters, along came the M54 requirement with Pegasus rotators and QHY Camera/filterwheels. At least with QHY their camera’s come complete with a set of thread/spacers to achieve the 55mm sensor spacing pseudo standard. Fine until you employ flatteners and reducer elements that come with their own dedicated backspace to sensor requirements, then the fun and Bank account drain starts over.

For a month I was unable to use my 2 new Pegasus rotators, with optimum  positioning directly after the focuser, I could not find any M68 Male to M54 Male adapters in the U.K. In the end, the only source was Cyclops Optics and international post.