Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Question on changing Celestron 9.25 to a 2" diagonal.

KirkD

I have a Brandon 2" 48mm eyepiece that I'd like to use on my new Celestron Nexstar Evolution 9.25. Instead of purchasing the Celestron diagonal, I bought the Celestron SCT to 2" adaptor so that I could just use the 2" diagonal that originally came with my Brandon 94mm some 30 years ago. However, I notice that the adaptor is much longer than the 1 & 1/4" adaptor that came with the Celestron, and the diagonal is a lot bigger as well, with the ultimate result that the total pathlength of the light from the Celestron to the eyepieces will be much longer. The last clear night we had was almost a month ago, so I've not had the chance to see how this works, so my question is this ... can I still focus all my eyepieces using  the much longer pathlength that results from this 2" setup on my Celestron 9.25? (I also got an adaptor so I can use the 1 & 14" eyepieces on the 2" diagonal.)

It all depends if the extended length takes one or more of your eyepieces outside the focus range of the built in focuser.  Rain aside, have to tried to focus on a terrestrial target during the daytime, if the focuser allows you to focus on the object and inside and outside of focus there is a good chance all will be ok with the night sky environment. 

I would pick a medium and max range visible target and attempt to focus them. Note direction of focuser movement from near to far target, if when  you achieve focus on the distant target there is no further focuser movement it is unlikely you will be able reach focus on the DSO’s. Try this for all eyepieces and you should have your answer.

Thank you, MartinS, for that response. It is yet another overcast day here, so I'll try it on some distant objects. I can see one that is at least a half mile from here (I live half-way down the side of a valley, so am a bit limited, but I think that should give me an idea. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

For a quick update, I installed the Celestron 2" adapter that screws on to the back of the 9.25 Evolution, then slid in my old 2" diagonal that came with my old Brandon 94, and found that it was able to focus just fine with the full range of eyepieces from my 2" Brandon 48mm to my 8mm Televue Delos, so I'm good to go!