Saturn

My first attempt at Saturn - about 6 minutes worth.  Celestron 8SE > 2x Barlow > Skyris 132C into SharpCap.  Stabilised in PIPP, then Autostakkert3 - I decided to try the double reference stack option... not sure if it made any difference.  Maybe I should try another run but leave that off.  Kept the best 25% out of 25K frames.  Drizzle 3x.  Registax  6 for wavelets, and GIMP to tweak the contrast and saturation.  Not bad, but it could be better.  It was pretty low in the sky by this time, so focus could have been crisper.  

image.png.c5bd8ee311e502bcfb764d8839444b5b.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Better image on the second one.

Thanks Terry - it was bothering me enough that I had to redo it.  🤣.   Off to surgery this week, my gallbladder keeps trying to kill me so hopefully I can play some more before I have to avoid anything strenuous like lugging the scope in and out.

Adam, you're getting some excellent first attempt results!

They wipped my gall bladder out a couple of years ago, better out than in if it's full of stones. Are you having a lap coly?

Regards

Graeme

Thanks Graeme - I keep working at it!  The most important thing is I am getting to where I can get it lined up on the sensor and tracking quicker now, used to take me an hour just to get that sorted!  Kicking myself a bit that I didn't get out there when Saturn was high in the sky a month or 2 ago, might have been easier to focus.  Ah well!

Yes, thankfully - should be in and out in an hour or less I should imagine.  What was recovery time like for you before resuming "normal" activities?

There is a 1.9cm stone stuck in the neck of the thing, so it makes itself known more and more frequently.  

On 1/10/2023 at 6:04 PM, Adam Y said:

Yes, thankfully - should be in and out in an hour or less I should imagine.  What was recovery time like for you before resuming "normal" activities?

There is a 1.9cm stone stuck in the neck of the thing, so it makes itself known more and more frequently.  

They'll whip it out in less than an hour but you will probably sleep after they wake you up from the general anaesthetic. I struggled to stand up straight for a week or so. Let's hope that thing stays where it is, you don't want it getting stuck in your bile duct!

Edited by Graeme

The pain is a lot more than I had been prepared for, amazing what you use these abdominal muscles for that get taken for granted... biggest challenge is just getting into and out of bed!

Needless to say, I won't be dragging the scope out for the next couple of weeks I'm sure.  So you'll no doubt be unsurprised to know that the skies are clear... 🤣🤬😜