Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Anydesk

Carastro

Does any-one use Anydesk to remote control their imaging rig?

I changed to this a short while ago after reading about it and people recommending it, and it is certainly easier to link up to the the remote computer than Teamviewer which i had been using before.  

Was extremely pleased with it the first few times of using it, but in the last few sessions, it keeps dropping out all the time.  It's easy enough to get it back again.  I put it down to poor internet connection the first time, but last night I could see a good signal in the obsy, through Anydesk, yet it was still dropping out every few minutes.  It is annoying, does anyone else have a similar problem?

Carole

• Like 1

I have been using Anydesk for 3-4 months since Teamviewer decided, wrongly that I was using it for commercial. In that time I've only used it maybe 7 or 8 times for imaging sessions  (Weather) but many more times to connect to my two computers when I'm away from home. I have  found  it to be excellent and rarely had connections drop, the only time it happens really is if I'm moving around and the device I'm working on swops access points on the local wifi. 

• Like 1

@dmack

Thanks DMack, I moved to Anydesk for similar reasons.  TV asked me once if I was using it for business purposes and somehow I managed to by pass it.  But having heard so many others having the same issues as you I thought it wise to have "another string to my bow" so to speak and thought I'd have this lined up.  

I was so pleased with it the first few times I used it I haven't gone back to TV. 

This dropping out has happened the last 3 times I have used it, and it is tedious, it drops out about every minute.  Doesn't take more than a few seconds to restart it, but it freezes before it drops out so if I am in the middle of controlling anything, I have to wait for it to drop out and then reconnect.  I wonder why this is happening?  WIFI signal seems fine. 

Carole     

Posted by: @Carastro

@dmack

Thanks DMack, I moved to Anydesk for similar reasons.  TV asked me once if I was using it for business purposes and somehow I managed to by pass it.  But having heard so many others having the same issues as you I thought it wise to have "another string to my bow" so to speak and thought I'd have this lined up.  

I was so pleased with it the first few times I used it I haven't gone back to TV. 

This dropping out has happened the last 3 times I have used it, and it is tedious, it drops out about every minute.  Doesn't take more than a few seconds to restart it, but it freezes before it drops out so if I am in the middle of controlling anything, I have to wait for it to drop out and then reconnect.  I wonder why this is happening?  WIFI signal seems fine. 

Carole     

Hi Carole,

I am far from knowledgeable about computers etc but I have had to troubleshoot several issues like this so here is what I would do (I suspect you are better with this stuff than I am so apologies if you've already done this)

First, if TV is still working for you fire it up (or one of the other free systems like Google remote Desktop) and see if that works without dropping - that will point you to hardware or or the Anydesk software itself.

If its software - i.e no drops on the other systems then uninstall and re-install Anydesk on both computers - if it still drops then look into possible hardware issues

On hardware issues (TV also drops or re-installed Anydesk continues to drop) , I have had several problems (most significantly when EQMOD failed to connect) caused by Windows Update replacing/updating drivers (for EQMOD it was the com port driver). I'm assuming you use windows if not then this may not be worth much. My computers just went through a big windows update and while it was ok this time it was the previous Windows Update that threw my EQMOD issue.

So I'd take a look at the Device Manager, locate the WiFi Adapter (usually within "Network Adapters") open the properties panel, go to driver and check the date of the driver. If that date coincides with when this problem started then try "Roll Back Driver" .

And at that point I'm afraid I am way beyond my meager IT skillset.

Good luck and do let us know how you resolve.

David

Having an Eagle controller and fixed HDMI cable to a monitor/smart TV indoors the only remote thing i have is a bluetooth mouse , although i have to plug the emitter into a USB cable to reduce distance to me indoors.

These remote systems look really cool though.

Roger

Posted by: @GazAstro

check that your wifi card isn't going into sleep mode. Mine did that when I set up a low battery use power scheme.

here's

Aha, now l know l have a low back up battery problem with my indoor desktop. But l thought this only affected start up.  I am waiting for my friendly lT man to change it for me but like me he is sort if shielding. 

i was about to try out Teamviewer instead last night to see if l got tge dame problem with that when clouds came over and l just shut everything down. 

Will give thus a try today and see what happens.  

Carole

Well I have just used both Anydesk and Teamviewer to do my flats and processing.

Anydesk kept dropping out but Teamviewer has been rock solid, so can;t be the Wifi, must be a problem with Anydesk.

I will do as you suggest and try re-installing it.

Thanks

Carole  

• 3 weeks later...

Not tried that one.  Used to use TeamViewer  but they kept saying I was a commercial user and cutting me off so gave up.

Posted by: @GazAstro

Still ok Carol ?

I haven't yet re-installed it., but the last time I was out Anydesk was much much better, with only a couple of drop outs the whole evening.  It is easy to get it back again unlike TV where you have to go outside and retrieve another code from the obsy laptop, with Anydesk you can just click to connect again.    

I can live with an occasional dropout but previously it was dropping out about every 15 - 30 seconds and driving me potty.

Carole 

• Like 1

I haven't yet re-installed it., but the last time I was out Anydesk was much much better, with only a couple of drop outs the whole evening.  It is easy to get it back again unlike TV where you have to go outside and retrieve another code from the obsy laptop, with Anydesk you can just click to connect again.    

I can live with an occasional dropout but previously it was dropping out about every 15 - 30 seconds and driving me potty.

I see plenty of choices to control a telescope remotely. I connect to my laptop that controls my mount remotely, using Chrome Remote Desktop. It has one drawback, in that it does not support file sharing, but it is free, and a lot more reliable when it comes to wifi. I have a shared folder on my laptop where the files are downloaded to. I will calibrate them in Pixinsight, over the wifi, it works a treat. Not the most elegant way of doing things, but it gets the job done.

I tried a couple of Remote desktop things with a wired system when I first got my obsy, one certainly had the name VNC and it relied on using an IP address.  Every time I tried to use it the outside laptop kept reverting to a different address, so i gave up on that system.

Carole  

Every time I tried to use it the outside laptop kept reverting to a different address, so i gave up on that system.

My laptop is connected to a Deco mesh wifi system we have running through the house and outside. The coverage is superb, with a choice of 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. Never had any problems with connectivity, or ip addresses, and file sharing is a breeze.

I installed Anydesk on the obsy PC so that Rupert Smith of Astrograph could sort out my Talon problems, but for everything else I use Windows Remote Desktop.

Nearly all my network is wired.

• Like 2

I use TightVNC on all my systems, even the server as it is so quick and efficient, the only thing I switch off on it is the MACOS Password, preferring to put my own in.

Its good that I can either put the IP address is on the DNS computer name.

When I am on an imaging session, I enable it on my phone, so if I want to watch a film with my wife, I can keep an eye on the guiding or clouds at the same time, I also use it to view my Rpi ASC configuration.

If you need any help then can talk you through it.

• Like 1

I wonder if I can put Anydesk on my phone?

Anything with the words VNC puts me off as that was the system I tried when I first started and had dreadful problems as in earlier post. 

Carole