The Cosmic Question Mark ? - (Well almost)

Dmack1

I posted my NGC 7822 some time back and was relatively happy with it.  It was a 2 panel mosaic with my SW 80ED. Processed last summer before some of the new tools became available, particularly BXT, Blanshans HOO and others.  I had looked at adding in the Little Rosette but that was going to require 1 panel of empty space. So I left it. It can be seen here

https://astrob.in/af317i/0/

Then when I had my sharpstar 61EDPHii set up I relised i could get it with one panel. I was not sure how stitching panels with the two different scopes would go but gave it a try anyway. I then processed it using PI with photometric mosaic, BXT, SXT,NXT. I think it came out ok. The ? is not as clear as it could be because the FOV at the top is just a bit small. Its Around 3.5-4 hours per panel all done with the 2600MC, L-enhance. I think I prefer the colours this time around.

CosmicQ_PS90s.thumb.png.b94fdb62b97da8368f45bdf2b25c4626.png

C&C appreciated.

Edited by Dmack1
  • Like 1

That’s excellent - so that’s 2 panels with sw80 and 1 panel across bottom using Sharpstar61 - brilliant processing to bring all that together.

Did you stitch all the panels before BlurXT or try to match star sizes prior to mosaic stitch ? Reason I ask is the stars look very well matched across entire image - that I imagine would have been the biggest issue with the different panel image scale ?

I also agree that this colour palette is preferable to the pink/red of the original 2 panel version.

Great work

Bryan

9 hours ago, Astrobdlbug said:

That’s excellent - so that’s 2 panels with sw80 and 1 panel across bottom using Sharpstar61 - brilliant processing to bring all that together.

Did you stitch all the panels before BlurXT or try to match star sizes prior to mosaic stitch ? Reason I ask is the stars look very well matched across entire image - that I imagine would have been the biggest issue with the different panel image scale ?

I also agree that this colour palette is preferable to the pink/red of the original 2 panel version.

Great work

Bryan

Thanks Bryan!

Yes thats right, two 80EDs at top, one 61 EDPHii accross bottom. I stitched the panels (each panel DBE 'd first) before doing anything further. This is a jpg of the mosaic - applied the STF nothing else.

CQ.thumb.jpg.78d890b0b6749dd7f3dcfcbf605ddbfa.jpg

You can see there is a fair difference in the stars but honestly I did not even see that at the time. Only when looking now. But I did loose abot 25% either side of the 61ED. which I hate as its so wasteful! After that it was crop, rotate (to fit larger on my widescreen for processing), DBE, SPCC, BXT, SXT, NXT, then stretch and normal process using Blanshans HOO normalisation. The difference in stars was nearly entirely sorted after BXT.

I have since learned how to stretch before star removal so you can screen the stars back in and it definaely produces nicer stars. I guess I'll need to go back and do it again 😂

Edited by Dmack1
  • Like 1