Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Help please! Total Beginner :)

alwayslookingup

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me...... I'll start by mentioning we are complete beginners, a few weeks ago we got a StarSense Explorer DX 6" we've been viewing planets etc on the few ocassions the sky has been clear. Last night was our fist opportunity to try and see the C/2022 E3 Comet (due to previously cloudy skies) We found a smudge of light in the correct location so put the Barlow 2X in to see if that made a difference but from that point we couldn't see anything at all, we adjusted the focus etc but couldn't see anything, even went back to view Mars as we knew this was easy to see but nothing, we removed the Barlow2x and still can't see anything at all with the original eyepiece that we had viewed Mars with just moments earlier, there is nothing viewable through the telescope.

We've had a look today and usually we can see buildings clearly in the distance but it's just a bright blurr, adjusting the focus doesn't make any difference at all.

What could we have done wrong? has something broken? the telescope is just a few weeks old.

Hoping someone can point us in the right direction, thanks.

Hi Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with that telescope but if it is still within the warranty period ask the dealer to have a look at it.

• 4 months later...

Hi @alwayslookingup

Did you manage to get your 'scope sorted out?

If not, my course of action would be to contact the seller, whether it be new or second-hand.

If it is new, (i.e from a dealer), then it is their responsibility to put it right. 

It could be something as small as a collimation issue. Catadioptric 'scopes, (in particular SCT's), do need collimating from time to time. If you do not fancy doing it yourself, then take it to your local astro-society/club. I am sure there will be a member who will be able to assist/help.

Also, bearing in mind that you posted in February [2023], did you leave the 'scope outside to acclimatise to the outside temperature before viewing? and do you have a dew shield? I give my C6/SCT a minimum of thirty minutes. It also gives your eyes time to get adapted to the dark too.