Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Anybody recognise this scope?

TerryMcK

I'm afraid this is the only picture I have due to Covid restrictions and my back promblems. No more details available. My cousin wants it shipping over to the USA where he lives but I'm not sure it is worth it. I reckon it is probably 1990s vintage.

764615978_WhatsAppImage2020-11-25at14_23_04.thumb.jpeg.93b31cc9acc408ad16e07d2c35e8f7f7.jpeg

Posted by: @TerryMcK

I reckon it is probably 1990s vintage.

It looks very similar to this old Tasco. This is a 60mm refractor with a focal length of 1000mm (f/16.7) From the 1960s.

post-36-14070933252031_thumb.thumb.jpg.8ad04a5318edadf452aeb82c09416f41.jpg

I did some more research and also asked the same question in the other place. It appears to be a Japanese made achromat Swift 839 60mm f/13 scope from around the mid 1960s. It has a fitted wooden box that has also been found. It is in my wifes deceased aunts house and when I get free from my back problems I’m going to have a look for anymore identification.

Apparently Swift and Takahashi had some sort of tie up around that time and there may be a mark AMA on it showing the objective was made by Takahashi. http://philjay2000.tripod.com/classic.html