Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Here's my rig "this month" (Delboy and Rodney have nothing on me)

Astroarg

When I finally added myself an Instagram account, I suddenly realised how much wheeling and dealing I had been doing on telescope equipment.  The worst of it was I had invited the wife to "like" my account, she decided to read through and quickly realise my "I've not spent too much, honest love" was a little white lie....

Unfortunately, I learnt (not earnt) the hard way by not doing it correctly to start ...

October 2018 was when it really started... got myself the SkyWatcher Star Adventurer pack and my first bit of Altair kit, the 70ED package and 0.8x reducer.  I was using a Canon 70D un-moddified.

February 2019 I picked up an astro-modded Canon 1100 and CLS-CCD Filter, and in May 2019 an Astronomik 12nm HA filter... by August 2019 these had all been sold ? ? ?   At this point I spent my first "small fortune" with Altair... HyperCam 183c Fan, HyperCam EOS lens adapter, Altair MG32 guide package, Altair quadband filter

October 2019 I flogged the Star Adventurer as I was really struggling with balance, and purchased iOptron CEM25P mount.

April 2020 I flogged the 183c Fan camera, and purchased an ex-demo 183c Pro Tec, because Ian showed me how shiny it was.

June 2020 I flogged the 70ED package kit, and in August finally decided to buy the 72EDF...

and just recently sold the Quadband filter and grabbed the OptoLong L-Extreme (waited a month from order to delivery), and now have 4-5 months of cloud and rain... meh.

IMG01.thumb.jpg.8e03921d333b1019b3d93481fcc56be3.jpgIMG02.thumb.jpg.0afa7a24a92a01949576de42182f1e11.jpgIMG03.thumb.jpg.f0d1d1ec43b18e8045cab612b2d34af4.jpgIMG05.thumb.jpg.ce146ae793c46a82724603a3934b7a8f.jpgIMG06.thumb.jpg.8b7e5a706dfb24b620f6a027ef9b66b7.jpgIMG04.thumb.jpg.4a8b8c71f2d80750981600a3279e8d7e.jpg
  • Like 2

A journey we've all been on in one way or another :-)

Next it will be a mono camera / filter wheel / narrowband filters ... oops

• Like 1

That's a lot of cloud cover created there.  "I've not spent too much, honest love" ? ? - been there.

• Like 1

Lol, inviting your wife to like your posts and her finding out how much you have spent.   

As for the journey into Astrophotography, been there and done that.

Carole 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll get some pics added this weekend... been recovering from COVID!  Although all mild, been a nightmare isolated in for 10 days with the wife and 2 kids, with both of us trying to work and entertain them enough... 2 days of isolation to go...

Posted by: @Astroarg

I'll get some pics added this weekend... been recovering from COVID!  Although all mild, been a nightmare isolated in for 10 days with the wife and 2 kids, with both of us trying to work and entertain them enough... 2 days of isolation to go...

Blimey ... get well soon ? 

• Like 1

@GazAstro thanks, all good thankfully, just mild.  Taste is now coming back, the short-breath was just 2 days (only noticeable say walking up/down stairs) ... the cough was annoying at first, like a bunch of cat fur wedged to the back of my throat.. that's really eased off now.

I can see how many may have had it last winter thinking it was just a cold!