Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Back Focus Calculator

AstronomyUkraine

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but it seems appropriate.

I came across a website today that has a back focus calculator for the many permutations of cameras, scopes and filters etc. Just fill in the equipment you have in the dropdown boxes, and the calculator does the rest. It wll give you the result, and whether you need to add or subtract spacers to your OTA.

https://cloudbreakoptics.com/blogs/news/calculating-back-focus-metal-back-distance

• Like 1

Posted by: @Wyvern

I'm sure that will come in useful for many folks. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. I used it to work out the back focus on my new scope. I currently have a back focus of 56mm om my ED80. My new scope has a back focus of 75. You would think spacers to the equivalent of 19mm would do the job, but this calculator takes the thickness of filters into account also. The end result I need a spacer of 19.67 mm. I think 20mm will be fine, I doubt .33mm will make that much difference.

Sadly they haven't included the TEC Altair cameras - those numbers are for the fan cooled which is 12.5mm sensor rather than the 17.5mm sensor distance on the TEC.

Posted by: @Astroarg

Sadly they haven't included the TEC Altair cameras - those numbers are for the fan cooled which is 12.5mm sensor rather than the 17.5mm sensor distance on the TEC.

That's pity. Maybe you can contact them, and ask them if they can update their calculator.