Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New AP Rig

RPK_Astro

The lockdown persuaded me to get back into practical astronomy after more than 30 year gap. My previous astro pics were taken with film camera using Ektachrome 400 and a clockwork drive...

Over the lockdown I've acquired an HEQ5 PRO, iOptron SkyGuider Pro, S-W Esprit 100. I have three cameras: Nikon Z6, Nikon D7500, and a modded Canon 700D.

I have bought a Raspberry Pi and I've installed Astroberry on it, but I'm taking it one step at a time, so not used it in anger yet. I have bought a guide cam, but need a guide scope.

IMG_5842_F.thumb.jpg.562efb282d7184c887eb0d0c7d3b4378.jpg

• Like 4

@Arioch I've been surprised how good a couple of minutes on a tracker is with a modern DSLR. 120s with my 200mm f/2.8 blows away the stuff people used to get with hypersensitisation of films etc. 

• Like 1

Very interesting Ron.  Nice to see you're all set to use an RPi - I've been using them for quite a while now.  I used to do terrestrial photography in the film days including my own developing and printing both mono and colour.  What a difference nowadays with digital and virtually instant results!!

I only ever did a little B&W film development - I was no good at printing, partly as I've recently discovered, it requires a highly methodical approach. 

So far I've only had one decent clear night with the Esprit, so I've only got one image thus far. I'm amazed at what a Nikon Z6, 4 x 3minute exposures plus calibration images, and an HEQ5 can achieve. I'm looking forward to doing more.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MJLqaAz9wi_gMWaY9mvelZXNe8cDGRFd/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2

How are you finding the Esprit 100 on the HEQ5?  I was a bit shocked at how heavy it was when I received mine, twice the weight of my SWED80.  Especially as I had planned to run a dual rig on it with my WO scope and 2 lots of Caemras and EFWs, but I think that takes me over the limit for the HEQ5.   Best I can do is piggy back my Samyang lens and 2nd camera.  

I might just "chance my arm" and try my WO scope on top, but it will be over the recommended weight.

Carole