IC443 - Jellyfish Nebula

Skipper Billy

Posted by: @skipper-billy

IC443 - the Jellyfish Nebula. Imaged over the 1st and 2nd January 2021. 2.5 hours each of Ha and Sii and 6 hours of Oiii. 4" frac and Atik 16200. Processed in Pixinsight. Presented as SHO (Hubble pallet) and HOO (which is very noisy as the Oiii data was so weak.) Having a 90% moon nearby didn't make life any easier !!!

CC very welcome. (Especially on how to tackle the two really bright stars - short of buying Astrodon or Chroma filters thank you!)

Both are excellent images. One method that works really well, is this one. http://nunopinacphotos.blogspot.com/2016/03/how-to-remove-star-halos-using-wavelets.html

I have used it several times, with good results. This is your image using that method, not perfect, but I was working on a jpeg, and not an xisf file. With a bit of tweaking, I'm sure you can do a better job than I have done.

1222-Jellyfish-SHO_1-Large.thumb.jpg.ef30da674e001026dbe57b2fef4fe441.jpg

These are the settings I used on the ATrousWaveletTransform.

Wavelet.thumb.jpg.c40623bb12087cfa1448c6bd1c519d06.jpg
  • Like 1

Posted by: @skipper-billy

IC443 - the Jellyfish Nebula. Imaged over the 1st and 2nd January 2021. 2.5 hours each of Ha and Sii and 6 hours of Oiii. 4" frac and Atik 16200. Processed in Pixinsight. Presented as SHO (Hubble pallet) and HOO (which is very noisy as the Oiii data was so weak.) Having a 90% moon nearby didn't make life any easier !!!

CC very welcome. (Especially on how to tackle the two really bright stars - short of buying Astrodon or Chroma filters thank you!)

2089042736_JellyfishSHO(Large).thumb.jpg.10cd1d268fa0967fd1f056f20a024e2e.jpg1242070318_JellyfishHOO(Large).thumb.jpg.1bc88f550d3364ddc7fcb618df368c3b.jpg

Hi David, when I did this a few years ago my data was really good but ruined by halo’s with those stars using optolong filters.

I vowed to return using my Chroma filters but haven’t had a chance.

sometimes flipping the filter if I mounted or changing the distance to the ccd can help, but otherwise I don’t have an answer.

• 2 weeks later...