Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Dome control from APT

paulgrover68

It looks increasingly likely my trekking trip is going to be cancelled again, so rather than rebook I'm seriously considering a Pulsar 2.2 observatory.

I'll be motorising the rotation (not sure about shutter yet - that might be a later addition.

So, does anyone know if the dome rotation can be controlled from APT? I've had a look and googled a bit, but can't find any solid answers.

Thanks in advance.

Also if anyone can share any tips and hints re pulsar domes I'd be keen to hear about your experiences.

• Like 1

Posted by: @paulgrover68

So, does anyone know if the dome rotation can be controlled from APT? I've had a look and googled a bit, but can't find any solid answers.

There is no reference to dome control in the APT user guide. As far as I know, the only aquisition astro software with integrated dome control is SGP.

That's kind of supporting what I was seeing. There are some references to it coming in APT on some old forum posts, but aside from that I'd been drawing a blank.  I've been pondering SGP for a while now, but like APT (mainly because I'm used to it and too scared to change stuff!)

• Like 1

@paulgrover68 I tried APT and NINA, I didn't like them. SGP takes a little getting used to, but it can do everything except polar align. Another option is Maxim DL, but that is quite expensive.

• Like 1

Paul, you will need to calculate your offsets and once you have done that you will need to make sure your acquisition software allows you to input those offsets, it might sound daunting, but in reality it isn't.

SGP is superb at managing the dome rotation.

I have attached a spreadsheet that allows you to input your offsets.

If you have a Centre Mounted Mount, then I have a different spread sheet that may help.

Its great to have rotation and shutter opening, but to start with Rotation is the essential.

Mount Offsets.xls

• Like 1

Thanks John - I will download and take a look. This is going to be a summer project so I'm trying to learn as much as I can in advance.

• Like 1