Mars is getting closer to Earth.....

geoflewis

Posted by: @Superlunarchick

Wow!! What a first post that is! Amazing capture and the detail is phenomenal. How many frames was this please?

Thanks Vicki, it was approx 66,000 frames. Full capture details are on my Astrobin page at https://www.astrobin.com/9qgfc3/

Just for good measure I created a gif animation at https://www.astrobin.com/afre95/

Regards,

Geof

• Like 1

@geoflewis

Holy moly that's a lot of frames. I can only dream of that many with my set up. I think my 7k frames is a huge amount haha!  I've always wanted a 14" Meade. That's the stuff dreams are made of especially for planetary. Well done, it's fabulous ? 

• Like 1

Thanks Kev,

Good to see your image, with lots of recognisable features on show.

Yes aperture helps, but actually seeing is far more important. When I started the session Mars was rising above my house roof, which was radiating heat from the very warm September day and I could not get any usable data. Then Mars moved above the gap between my and my neighbour’s houses and bingo a lovely steady on screen image. That lasted for about 1 hour until Mars moved above my neighbour’s roof with the seeing immediately deteriorating - it was like throwing a switch on, then off again.

Cheers, Geof

• Like 1

@Superlunarchick Thanks Vicki, I used to have a 10” Meade which gave very respectable results, but the C14 is certainly a step up. I’ve only just purchased the ASI290MM camera specifically for the Mars apparition. My previous ASI120MM-s is also a great camera, but slower frame rates. I set the camera for 13ms which gives ~75 fps and shoot 3 min video for each filter, then rinse and repeat.

Geof

• Like 2

I had the same with Jupiter and Saturn earlier in the year. At a given azimuth (185 T) the seeing went all over the place. After a couple of nights I became intrigued. Availing myself of the local OS map it was exactly the same bearing of a Supermarket carpark about 4 miles away. Obviously the Hadley cells generated by the heat of the day on the asphalt had a marked effect even at gone midnight. We do get good skies here but I think you can count them on one hand throughout the year. I am hoping, probably in vain that the ether is going to play ball for the opposition; having said that a clear sky here more than once a month would be a bonus.

• Like 2

Posted by: @ChrisWright

It's not just that this is a fantastic image Geof, it's knowing the amount of work you have put in the last couple of months and the various iterations before this one. Seems like you have had quite a journey up to this wonderful image.

Hi Chris, those are very encouraging words - kinda made my day actually. Many thanks, Geof

• Like 2

Posted by: @andy-274

That's quite possibly the best planetary image I've ever seen. Amazing

Thanks Andy, that is very kind of you, but I can assure you that there better images out there from quite a few people, though I do think this one stands up pretty well. It is certainly my best ever image of Mars.

Geof

Posted by: @geoflewis

I thought that I’d start this forum with an image of Mars captured last week in good seeing.

image.jpeg.de10a0af73c6dc996ef9776fd9deafe9.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Geof

That’s just fantastic mate , thanks for sharing the frame rates , i shot mine in mono , but am going to set up the cam to do rgb through a spare filter wheel 

• Like 1