February 2021 - Anyone Imaging Tonight

1 minute ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks Geof,yep the hospital posted some rather distressing results just through the post for which the consultant apologised about, she had another MRI today, so won't know the confirmation until at least a couple of weeks.

🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well an unexpected 3rd night on the trot, whilst I am trying to process the Phantom, I didn't want to waste a night, so I started on the Money NGC2175, again with my newly rebuilt 10" Newtonian and I

Started at 7pm, came out after dinner to find I'd forgotten to run Amphetamine to stop my Mac from sleeping. Got one sub which was rubbish. Restarted everything and went to watch some TV with the

Wow - @Wyvern thats going to be a long intgration project - my target, is significantly brighter, very significantly brighter, Ive just stacked in APP the 12 x 300s Ha subs, used my BPM and 240s

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Astrobdlbug said:

@MarkAR Oh Nooooo - I feel your pain Mark - clearly the gremlins are having a party at your place this evening. 
There should be some more clear nights - tomorrow I think is good , and some of Sunday with possibility of Tuesday next week. At this point I would have packed up - got a glass of something (usually red) and sat outside in full winter imaging gear and just watched the sky for a while....

Bryan

Cheers Bryan, glass of something is tempting now, rum or bourbon🥃

14 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Hi All, apologies for not posting much, my wife's health has become a real concern, so although I have been popping in and out, I have had to keep my mind on track.

Wishing her well and don't stress over posting on here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MarkAR said:

Started at 7pm, came out after dinner to find I'd forgotten to run Amphetamine to stop my Mac from sleeping. Got one sub which was rubbish.

Restarted everything and went to watch some TV with the Mrs, came out after to find the exposure aborted.

Restarted again only to have focus play games.

Finally got somewhere and my first good sub came in, 15 mins Ha on The Fossil Footprint. Did this target a few months ago but wasn't too happy with the data so hopefully getting more better signal now it's high in the sky.

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 22.00.50.jpg

I did that a little while ago Mark and you'd be surprised with how much is there, it wasn't the easiest to process and I had to invest 19 hours to get that: - https://www.astrobin.com/0rbknn/B/

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

I did that a little while ago Mark and you'd be surprised with how much is there, it wasn't the easiest to process and I had to invest 19 hours to get that: - https://www.astrobin.com/0rbknn/B/

Last year I got a fair bit of data but as it was low in the sky the result wasn't so great. That was with 10 minute subs, collecting 15 minute subs now so hope to add around 15 hours to existing data minus a more stringent weeding out process. Could total up to near 24 hours worth.

Packing up here for the night. Mount still not behaving itself at all - regular disconnects from NINA, and some really weird slewing behaviour. (slew E for a bit; slew W for a bit... NINA capturing while slewing....). Better than last night but still not workable. None of this happened earlier today... does the temperature impact the technology?

Too cloudy for imaging anyway.

The tiles on next doors garage roof are safe. The scope just grazed them and a tree before the meridian flip. It is now on other side of the pier. The scope and guidescope are clear. Hurrah. That wizard is still in its sights.

Off to bed to leave EKOS automation to do its funky stuff. Night all.

• Like 1

Managed some imaging last night, 2 hours each on the Crab and Horsehead and Flame in H-alpha (All I was going to attempt with the full moon)

Crab with the ODK setup, Horse and Flame with the new QHY268 on the TS apo.

Too many borks and gotchas to mention but got something in anyway.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Packing up here for the night. Mount still not behaving itself at all - regular disconnects from NINA, and some really weird slewing behaviour. (slew E for a bit; slew W for a bit... NINA capturing while slewing....). Better than last night but still not workable. None of this happened earlier today... does the temperature impact the technology?

Too cloudy for imaging anyway.

It does sound like under voltage symptoms. Did you say you are using a 30Amp 12v (13.8) power supply. I know with my old ham radio one it had a potentiometer to alter the voltage from 5V up to 14. It became faulty a bit like a crackly volume pot on a radio. I replaced it and it was ok after that. I still use a different ham radio supply now but it is fixed at 13.8V nominal and works really well. I think that is a 30A or 35A supply too.

• Like 1

I was out last night , we had a zoom star party - 4 of us ... Didn't work out too well as we couldn't see each other 🥺

Seriously though it was great to be out chatting and setting up together .

I've finally realised that Oiii and Sii don't work well at all with any moon flowing 😌

I'll stick to Ha from now on!

• Like 1

I've set up for another run at IC63. Found an old Skywatcher light pollution filter and stuck it on the ZWO 178mc on the off chance it might help with the moon being full. Nothing ventured nothing gained. All set up with the AsIAir pro and back inside monitoring the tablet. Sipping some cider. Lol. 

I'm at a Zoom dinner party with a French theme at the moment. The rig meanwhile is shooting NGC1579 and seems to be ok. The moon is low tonight and just risen so hoping it stays that way.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks Geof,yep the hospital posted some rather distressing results just through the post for which the consultant apologised about, she had another MRI today, so won't know the confirmation until at least a couple of weeks.

Sorry to here this John, i do hope all goes well for you both.

• Thanks 1

I thought I would use tonight to swap from my small scope to my newt.  It's fairly easy job - I just have to swap the guide cam.

Last time I tried it I hit probllems with Plate Solving. Tonight all went well. I had some big gradient issues on my target from last night (I just didn't comepensate for the moon). So once I got running I figured I'd go deep on M42 - it's brighy and I should get away with less exposure time,

So far so good!

EDIT: The second I posted this I went outside and it is now foggy. 

Edited by paulgrover68
  • Like 1

Well Saturday night and a full moon - usually I would not even try - however 3nm filters seem to be a game changer, at least I dont have a no-moon comparison but with 7nm versions tonight would have been a complete moon wash out - but I've managed to gather another 1hr Oiii and 1hr Sii with Ha on the go - still on Rosette.

I processed the 3hrs I got last night and it looks quite promising - so hoping to double up tonight and perhaps even tommorrow if the forecast fog stays away ... Guiding not so good tonight, but 300s subs looking ok , round stars and decent focus. Snapshot from the VNC viewer of Ha sub

image.thumb.png.7f864eab135d12e4674eee74e9b287c2.png

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

It does sound like under voltage symptoms. Did you say you are using a 30Amp 12v (13.8) power supply. I know with my old ham radio one it had a potentiometer to alter the voltage from 5V up to 14. It became faulty a bit like a crackly volume pot on a radio. I replaced it and it was ok after that. I still use a different ham radio supply now but it is fixed at 13.8V nominal and works really well. I think that is a 30A or 35A supply too.

Yes Terry, I'm using the Nevada Radio 30A 13.8V - 10A out the front cigarette socket. It can be switched to variable voltage which sometimes happens by accident, but I've checked that's not the case this time. It's normally completely reliable. 4A should be plenty for what I'm doing.

I've just been checking out my NGC1579 shots from last night and I got a full 30 x 360 seconds Ha all of which are useable and can be added to some existing data.

I got 8 SII which are usable the rest of the 30 were pictures of tree branches or some high haze. I also got 6 OIII that were taken early morning before the nebula set behind my neighbours house.

Tonight the moon is very low for me so I can start around 19:00 with some more OIII and follow on with SII while the moon stays relatively low. Then I might choose another target for the rest of the evening/morning.

Advanced planning might pay off.

• Like 2

Some of the OIII subs I'm taking at the moment seem to have egg shaped stars. I've seen that before in preview mode. When they are processed they are perfectly round. Always a slight worry though!

2 minutes ago, MartinS said:

Anyone out imaging tonight?

Yes I'm watching an astro Zoom meeting based in Devon at the same time. I'm doing 30 x 360 second OIII and the same SII on NGC1579 to add to my existing data before the moon comes up to high. At that point I'm going to go Ha on something in the opposite direction.

Hi Terry, I am into my 6th 10min frame of California Nebula using Esprit 80 and Q268C with L-Enhance filter. Fist one looked good, I haven’t tried imaging the whole CN in single frames, the combination of Esprit and APS-C sensor works well for this target. The last frame is getting lighter as the moon rises.

• Jkulin locked and unpinned this topic