Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Hello From the Northern Mariana Islands of Saipan & Guam

Norm

I'm Norm....

Nice to meet you all.  I enjoy Amateur Telescope/Binoscope Making (ATM/ABM) and Astronomy as a hobby.  I'm basically a visual amateur astronomer and use my trusty 90mm (3.55-inch) f/7.8 Chinese Refractor I bought on the island of Saipan several years ago for observing here in the islands....

Keep Looking Up!

Norm

Northern Mariana Islands of Saipan & Guam

Edited by Norm
Possibly better choice.

Cor, what a place to live and do Astronomy, I bet the skies are really dark there.

Welcome to BYA by the way.

Carole   

• Like 1

Thanks Carole for the kind welcome...🙂

Yeah...Saipan has some very dark skies...and is a paradise for astronomical observing. See the Sept./Oct. 2009 issue of ATT cover page with the Saipan's Palms Resort Hotel (now the Kensington Hotel) on the cover....

Norm

Palms Resort Hotel on Saipan - 2009.jpg

Edited by Norm
Possibly better choice.
  • Like 2

Hi Norm, welcome to the forum. I love the observers chair, when you sit in it doesn’t it remind you of the dentist ? The wood F4 Dobsonian is a piece of art.

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Martin...🙂

Dentist?  Yeah...sometimes when it's in the reclining mode maybe. The GOTO Bino Chair was originally an old trashed unwanted IKEA semi-reclining chair I found sitting next to a large dumpster....After that it became my 

ATM project...>

The 10-inch f/4 Newtonian "Dob Buster" was made out of all-plywood using only a saber saw, wood glue, sand paper and redwood stain. The Dob-Buster's 10-inch f/4 Pyrex primary mirror (my 1st. mirror) I had originally hand ground, figured and polished in 1963.  In 2011, nearly 50 years later...it finally found a suitable home in the "Dob Buster".

Norm

Edited by Norm
Possibly a better choice.

Welcome on board Norm..

nice introduction and cool pics!

Edited by gabs

2 hours ago, gabs said:

Welcome on board Norm..

nice introduction and cool pics!

Thanks gabs....🙂

Norm

Saipan & Guam in the Northern Mariana Islands

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome! Wow, what a wonderful part of the world in which to live! I have to admit I'm not only a little envious of your dark skies but your seas as a diver too. Hope you enjoy the forums.