Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

My first tentative with Orion constellation...

gabs

so.. I have two options :

1)Canon EOS 500 D  astro modified with live view screen not flip out screen though ( from cheap astrophotography shop )

2)canon 1200 D astro modified live view screen same as above no flip out screen ( from a private seller ).

Big importnat question:  without a flip out screen can they be connect to a laptop?

both have similar price..

any suggestion? 

thank you all in advance.

Edited by gabs

Either should connect to a PC via a USB cable and they both have similar pixel size. Do you know the shutter count of either option and have you asked for any sample photos.

This article has some good info on what to look for.  I would just take your time and make sure whatever you buy will be suitable with the telescope / lens and mount you will be using in the future.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/buying-secondhand-telescope-what-need-know/

You can use the following to check field of view etc

https://astronomy.tools/

yes both can be attached to a laptop. But try to get a camera with a flip out screen. This will work well for you when focusing at odd angles or even just controlling the camera  to stop your neck getting cricked. Sometimes you might need this when a laptop isn’t available.

4 hours ago, gabs said:

so.. I have two options :

1)Canon EOS 500 D  astro modified with live view screen not flip out screen though ( from cheap astrophotography shop )

2)canon 1200 D astro modified live view screen same as above no flip out screen ( from a private seller ).

Big importnat question:  without a flip out screen can they be connect to a laptop?

both have similar price..

any suggestion? 

thank you all in advance.

Ask if the camera comes with a battery charger. Every Canon camera has a different charger, so your existing one will not work with a newer camera.

Yes all comes with battery charger the 1200d has two set of batteries and travel kit which is quite good and for free he gives me all the softwares.

I made up my mind to get the 1200d .

Hope I have made the right decision.🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

yes both can be attached to a laptop. But try to get a camera with a flip out screen. This will work well for you when focusing at odd angles or even just controlling the camera  to stop your neck getting cricked. Sometimes you might need this when a laptop isn’t available.

Unfortunately the flip out screen is available only with the following cams:

600d / 700d and 8000d but they are out of my badget ( for now ) even for a second hand one 😓.

It's not the end of the world NOT to have a flip out screen, but it would be much more useful to you with your portable set up as it means you don't have to twist your neck at awkward angles to see the back of the camera to focus and see whether you have your target.

I have never had a flip out screen, but I always have a laptop attached.  

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Like 1