Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

An accurate beginners website for planets,stars etc from a location

Newbie1700

Hi,

I have been looking at websites with star maps and planets etc from my location.I can either not seem to use it properly and the 2 that i thought were showing the maps from my location only 1 maybe doing this.So i am wondering if anyone knows of any star maps that are fairly accurate from queensland in australia? I am not wanting to use the app versions yet,as i have a lot of work apps on my phone.

Would any other newbies or anyone else know of an easy to use website? I am currently reading a book on astronomy,which has suggestions of star map websites but as i said i cannot seem to work them correctly or maybe they are not current,as they show different stars and planets .... 

thanks in advance

the one i am using right now to start with:

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/australia/brisbane

Edited by Newbie1700

I know you say you don’t want to use apps on a phone but they really are the best thing to use. Some even  work by pointing in the direction you are looking and tell you what is there. Sky Safari is very popular and is free. It does have extras you can buy but is so much better than a website. If you are restricted from installing apps as it is a company phone well I feel your pain.

If you have a computer then Stellarium is one of the best programs.

• Like 1

I use star walk2 and star chart , they are both free software.

Both should work on phone as well as laptop as long as laptop / tablet has a movement sensor.

I agree with the above , having these app on a smart phone makes everything easier.

I hope that would helps you.

gabs

Edited by gabs
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I know you say you don’t want to use apps on a phone but they really are the best thing to use. Some even  work by pointing in the direction you are looking and tell you what is there. Sky Safari is very popular and is free. It does have extras you can buy but is so much better than a website. If you are restricted from installing apps as it is a company phone well I feel your pain.

13 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

yes, i know the apps are the best thing,but will be needing to get a new phone for it! So i'm just trying to find out what i can see from my location right now, and the 2 star maps i accessed were saying different things as the stellarium web page wasnt working properly in my browser and It was actually showing rays flicking across the page from the different planets! Its working now and its great.Will be a great way to keep an eye on the planets while on the pc.I think the web page is pretty good itself for a quick look

thanks for the reply

cheers

12 hours ago, gabs said:

I use star walk2 and star chart , they are both free software.

Both should work on phone as well as laptop as long as laptop / tablet has a movement sensor.

I agree with the above , having these app on a smart phone makes everything easier.

I hope that would helps you.

gabs

thanks,yes,Am heading off to get a new phone during the week.I can see i cant do without a phone app for this.

thanks for the info

cheers

17 minutes ago, Newbie1700 said:

thanks,yes,Am heading off to get a new phone during the week.I can see i cant do without a phone app for this.

thanks for the info

cheers

No problem! I am happy to help!

As said above Stellarium is probably the best computer based Planetarium.  You can set your location and it will tell you what is up in the sky right now and you can also change the date to see what you might see on other dates should you so wish.

On a Smartphone there are a number of Apps which if you hold them up to the sky it will identify what you are looking at.

But I think finding your own way around the sky using a chart pr planetarium like Stellarium is the best way to learn.  

The planets move every year as they are orbiting the Sun and thus will appear in a different place each year in relation to the Star background.  But wherever you are on Earth they will be in the same place, but getting to know your own sky and horizon is the best plan.  

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 12:17 AM, Carastro said:

As said above Stellarium is probably the best computer based Planetarium.  You can set you location and it will tell you what is up in the sky right now and you can also change the date to see what you might see on other dates should you so wish.

On a Smartphone there are a number of Apps which if you hold them up to the sky it will identify what you are looking at.

But I think finding your own way around the sky using a chart pr planetarium like Stellarium is the best way to learn.  

The planets move every year as they are orbiting the Sun and thus will appear in a different place each year in relation to the Sky background.  But whereever you are on Earth they will be in the same place, but getting to know your own sky and horizon is the best plan.  

Carole 

thats a good piece of info, i wondered if each view was going to be unique one for a very long while,but only for a year,then it wont be that urgent that i get out there with my camera to catch it.Its raining over here quite a bit at the moment but the skies look very interesting with a number of planets all showing at the same time,so maybe will see that next time!

cheers