Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

2nd tentative Orion 24/03

gabs

Hi all,

here the result of a new tentative with ( this time ) a modified Canon EOS 1200D and 50 mm lens + clip filter on a static tripod.

I took a 20 exposure @ 5 sec each ISO 3200 , dark and bias frame + flat frame.

I know is still no brilliant but I am working hard 🙂

Any comment and feedback is more than welcome!

Gabs

orion post DSS 24.03.jpg

• Like 2

Can definitely see some hydrogen there Gabs. Are you planning on a tracking mount soon to get longer exposures?

Edited by TerryMcK

Yes definitely it will be my next purchase , I’ve been advised for an sky-watcher star adventure. 

any tips and advise is welcome !

1 hour ago, gabs said:

Yes definitely it will be my next purchase , I’ve been advised for an sky-watcher star adventure. 

any tips and advise is welcome !

Looking much better than your first attempt. Maybe cut the iso down to 1600, 3200 for that camera is quite high.

Hi all,

Yesterday night I tried again, same setting as before but this time ISO 1600.

I am still not happy and satisfied but I am still working on a static tripod unfortunately.

I am going to try again tonight if the sky remains clear... 🤞

orion 29.03.jpg

Screenshot histogram.png

• Like 1

Good work Gabs, 1600 looks a lot better.

A Star Adventurer or similar will be a big bonus. If your budget is tight then there always the Omegon Mini Tracker for around £109. 

13 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

A Star Adventurer or similar will be a big bonus. If your budget is tight then there always the Omegon Mini Tracker for around £109. 

That is a very great news for me!

I am looking for different options on the market . I saw an Ioptron but I didn’t know about Omegon.

thank you Mark much appreciated your comment!

22 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Designed by an Italian photographer... instruction available in Italian language  as well... that sounds definitely for me! 🤩

I like this very much!  As others have said above, I was going to say drop your ISO down a level - otherwise it’s great! 

I have both the Star Adventurer (which will help hugely) and the Omegon xL3 tracker - that little mechanical tracker is honestly wonderful and doesn’t break the bank either. 

worth a go! 

• Like 1

I ordered the mechanical tracker yesterday and arrived today from Germany.

I am ready to use it!! 

02E9CED0-E45A-4D6C-BEB2-F218D8600E17.jpeg

Edited by gabs
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, Incisive_Solutions said:

I like this very much!  As others have said above, I was going to say drop your ISO down a level - otherwise it’s great! 

I have both the Star Adventurer (which will help hugely) and the Omegon xL3 tracker - that little mechanical tracker is honestly wonderful and doesn’t break the bank either. 

worth a go! 

Thank you so much for your comment.

I think there is a lot to improve but knowing that someone like my picture gives me a big boost and encourage me a lot!

thanks 

• Like 1

Wow you have made some improvements since we last spoke.  The most recent M42 looks much better, and I didn't know about the tracker you have bought, that is a new one on me, but if it has been tried and tested and recommended, that sounds a good step in the right direction.  It looks similar in principel to the Astrotrac.  

Now you have a tracker, I would suggest you keep the lens you bought off of me for the wider field images, and use your more powerful lens for closer views of things like the orion nebula.  Reduceing the ISO is a good move too.  In fact i was always told to use 800iso when i did DSLR imaging as it gives less noise which will become more noticeable as you do longer exposures.  

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Like 1

Thank you both,

I didn’t have a chance to use the mechanical tracker yet as the sky was pretty much horrible.

It seems tomorrow night would be a nice night for imaging at least here in London. 

I will keep you updated ! and thanks again!!

Gabs

Apologies Gabs, I forgot your more powerful lens won't fit on your camera with the LP filter.

Carole 

On 4/3/2021 at 10:25 PM, Carastro said:

Apologies Gabs, I forgot your more powerful lens won't fit on your camera with the LP filter.

Carole 

Oh ☹️ I understood any EF lens would work with a clip filter ..

let’s see what I can manage to do without a filter adding and more powerful lens.

thank you Carole! 

12 hours ago, gabs said:

Oh ☹️ I understood any EF lens would work with a clip filter ..

It will, but I thought your more powerful lens was EFS.

But give it a try without the filter, it will be noisy of course from the LP.

Carole 

9 hours ago, Carastro said:

It will, but I thought your more powerful lens was EFS.

But give it a try without the filter, it will be noisy of course from the LP.

Carole 

You are correct Carole I have got an EFS lens but I have never thought to use because I can’t add a clip filter.

I recently bought a 300 mm Canon EF lens to use with the mechanical tracker but I am waiting to be delivered .

I am planning to get 30 sec exposure as it seems to be the max you can have with a 300 mm lens .

100/300 = 0.33 —> 30 sec. Max

that is what the mechanical tracker allows.

• Like 1