April 2021 - Anybody playing today?

On 4/2/2021 at 1:48 PM, Carastro said:

Hi Ron, Just out of interest what weather site do you use because it seldom seems to be right.  I tend to use several and if more than 1 is saying the same thing then I am more inclined to believe it.

Carole   

I use several - Clear Outside, which does not seem to be very accurate, the Met Office, BBC Weather, Scope Nights which might not be working properly. I also stick my head out of the door... 

My first app was called “nightshift”basically is so rubbish that I deleted after some weeks. It’s a liar and not reliable at all! 

do not download it! 

Thinking about my issues with Ekos, it might be the way I set up the filter schedule. I may have "programmed in" the camera temp and when it changes filter it stalls. It could also be why runs get aborted as the temp exceeds the limit by getting too cold. 

I think if I leave the temp as is when I set the sequence and only cool the camera when I'm about to start it might straighten things out. 

52 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

. I may have "programmed in" the camera temp and when it changes filter it stalls

That makes sense Mark. Turn on verbose logging to file for the next run with whichever module, probably the camera one, along with ekos logging just in case it happens again. At least you will have an idea of where the problem lies. I found having EKOS and mount logging active for a night produced a file of just over 100MB but that includes every command the mount is instructed to do. It’ll probably be much less for just the camera. However the 100MB file zipped up to about 6MB.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Thanks 1

Weather's been nasty all day, but is forecast to clear up from midnight to morning, and the clouds have started to move off. I'll keep an eye on things later and hopefully will get out for a few hours. Haven't picked a target yet.

Sky has cleared up as forecast so going to capture a few hours on M106. It's directly overhead so hopefully that will reduce the LP.

I've also turned on auto meridian flip for the first time so there will be some excitement in about 20 minutes!

Good luck everybody out tonight. It will be clear here for an hour at 1AM but patchy cloud upto and after that. I have decided to give it a miss tonight. Monday and Tuesday look better.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1

Well I have started imaging, it wasn't forecast to be clear and Sat24 shows lots of clouds around, but I'll take it while the going is good.

Weather forecasts seem to be all over the place at the moment.

Carole 

• Like 1

Galaxies are no good for me:

a) Most are too small for my kit.

b) I am in Bortle 8 and luminance is awful from here. 

Doing the Jellyfish before it disappears.   Then I am stuck until either I can get to dark skies or until Cygnus makes a re-appearance over the house tops. 

Carole  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Well I have started imaging, it wasn't forecast to be clear and Sat24 shows lots of clouds around, but I'll take it while the going is good.

Weather forecasts seem to be all over the place at the moment.

Carole 

What is tonight's target. Too late I see you already said it's the Jellyfish. 😀

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1

Anyone know if there is any Oiii in the Hellyfish, I can only see a small Wisp at the top and nothing else, or even in the adjacent nebula. plenty in Sii, just wondering if I am wasting my time. 

Carole  

• Jkulin unpinned and locked this topic