Jump to content

M97 SHO + L first narrow band attempt


Recommended Posts

This is my first full SHO image.  Something bright to practice with😀. Its also my first run thorough with PI just to add to the mix of challenges.  Collimation was pretty good for me, SHO frames had good round stars... 

image.png.ffc1054e717cfb84ffc937a0c3f64a73.png

and then I added in some L to sharpen and enhance.  Unfortunately the collimation worsened for L and it took the stars out of round. That aside I am very happy with the final image as a first attempt.

M97_SHO_Lum_210408.thumb.png.d76177a4dd5c4e5757fc53e010295081.png

Tracking was wonderful at sub 0.5 in RA(<> 0.61 combined).

Details:

ASI1600MM Pro, Bresser 150mm@f4.8 using a Skywatcher 0.9 CC. On my CEM70G 

Final image: Gain139,offest50 @-15C.  S 10x300s, H 16x300s, O 16x300s, L 12x120s

 

I have had several attempts previously at other objects but the extra weight of the camera and filter wheel highlighted the tube flexure in the Bresser and made collimation difficult. Adding embroidery hoops reduced it a lot and has generally made the Bresser more reliable but still I'm running into issues over a session. The focuser itself is fine but the tube is very thin walled.

 

Any comments on my processing gratefully received 😉

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, paul said:

This is my first full SHO image.  Something bright to practice with😀. Its also my first run thorough with PI just to add to the mix of challenges.  Collimation was pretty good for me, SHO frames had good round stars... 

image.png.ffc1054e717cfb84ffc937a0c3f64a73.png

and then I added in some L to sharpen and enhance.  Unfortunately the collimation worsened for L and it took the stars out of round. That aside I am very happy with the final image as a first attempt.

M97_SHO_Lum_210408.thumb.png.d76177a4dd5c4e5757fc53e010295081.png

Tracking was wonderful at sub 0.5 in RA(<> 0.61 combined).

Details:

ASI1600MM Pro, Bresser 150mm@f4.8 using a Skywatcher 0.9 CC. On my CEM70G 

Final image: Gain139,offest50 @-15C.  S 10x300s, H 16x300s, O 16x300s, L 12x120s

 

I have had several attempts previously at other objects but the extra weight of the camera and filter wheel highlighted the tube flexure in the Bresser and made collimation difficult. Adding embroidery hoops reduced it a lot and has generally made the Bresser more reliable but still I'm running into issues over a session. The focuser itself is fine but the tube is very thin walled.

 

Any comments on my processing gratefully received 😉

 

The colours look great, and with an SHO image you don't need to take seperate Lum images, use your stack with the strongest signal as a lum image, usually the Ha.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The colours look great, and with an SHO image you don't need to take seperate Lum images, use your stack with the strongest signal as a lum image, usually the Ha.

Thanks👍 I'll have another go through and see if the one of the SHO stacks is up to the task.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent result.

One thing to consider is adding RGB for star colour.

Use Starnet to remove the SHO stars, then once the RGB stars are processed add those to the starless image with Pixelmath.

Edited by MarkAR
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...