geoflewis Posted April 14, 2021 Share Posted April 14, 2021 (edited) After weeks of crap weather or clear skies only when the Moon was up, I finally managed to finish my first image since January. It is an LHaRGB image of the intermediate spiral galaxy M106 in Canes Venatici. I started the project in March in the run up to 1st Qtr Moon, but the ~8 hours of LRGB data that I captured proved unusable, so I shot all that again over the past week, or so. The Ha data captured in March seemed to survive ok despite the bright Moon, so I've used that. Total integration is just over 15.5 hours, comprising L=31x10m, Ha=19x15m, R=24x5m, G+B=22x5m each. Processing was all done in ImagesPlus, with Registar used to accuratrely align the 5 stacked channel images, before building the final colour image which also done in ImagesPlus. This was a very tricky image to process, with countless iterations at various stages of the process for both the luminance and colour images, before combining them with 4 completed versions, of which the above is a layered combination of V2 and V4, so really V5....!! I really struggled to reveal the galaxy's outer halo whilst trying to control the noise in the background. I had both more crunchy and much softer versions, but have settled on this combiation one - at least for now. Thanks for looking. Edited April 14, 2021 by geoflewis replaced image with a blended comination of previous versions 8 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.