Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

No more Hobbit door !

Astro-Nutz

Hi peeps,

Finally got the remodelling done in my obsy to gain some height through the hobbit door, I managed to get a very comfortable  63inches so as im only 5'7" thats just a tilt of the head

and im through 😉 i made a 17" 2 step box out of 19mm marine ply and then treated the bottom with a 2 layer 10yr water proof coating for good measure even though its bone dry under the floor. I then extended my LED run of lights to go under the hatch lip for added visual aid, this has massively made the transition between scope room and warm room a pleasure and im left wondering why i didnt do this when i built it lol

Only job left is to carpet the warm room now as i put a new blue foam floor in the scope side its only right the warm room as a treat too 😉

Clear skies all.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

9a.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Edited by Astro-Nutz
  • Like 6

Congratulations! That's a fantastic build. I'm very impressed with the finish; you certainly know what you're doing! I'm sure that will reinvigorate your astronomy for years.

May it bring you luck and endless enjoyment.

• Like 1

Thanks all, managed to get a load of data captured over the past few days too, and I can still stand up and walk 😜 looking forward to the processing if I remember how to do it, its been so long lol 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the carpet fitters have been so i could complete my renovations. All done now and ready for winter lol 

20210520_131152.jpg

20210520_131203.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Astro-Nutz said:

Finally the carpet fitters have been so i could complete my renovations. All done now and ready for winter lol 

20210520_131152.jpg

20210520_131203.jpg

That is an excellent job! Stunning finishing and details ! 

• Like 1

A well thought out and executed solution. Again, your finish can’t be faulted. You’re observatory looks like it is not just practical, but also very comfortable. 

• Like 1