Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Skywatcher EQ 3-2 in Alt Az mode? Possible or not?

Marmot

Hi

My second post with a question from a novice to those of you with a bit more knowledge.

The title explains the question, but to give a bit more detail it’s as follows:

i currently have a Skywatcher ST120 mounted on an AZ3. I like the AZ3 mount in that it is easy to use and I can literally plonk it down and point my scope at what takes my fancy. I like the simplicity. However, I don’t have to explain the shortcomings of the AZ3 and I know that at some stage soon I will want to upgrade.

my first thought was to go for something like the AZ5 to keep the simple set up of an AZ mount but then I thought that at some point I may want try an EQ style mount.

I was therefore wondering weather it’s possible to use an EQ3-2 mount in an Alt Az mode?

If so, this would enable me to enjoy a better mount, still enjoy the simplicity of an Alt Az set up, but with the option of using it in EQ mode as and when I wanted to go down that road.

it would purely be for visual as AP is far beyond me🙂

hope its it’s not a silly question and thanks for your patience.

martin

45 minutes ago, Marmot said:

I was therefore wondering weather it’s possible to use an EQ3-2 mount in an Alt Az mode?

If so, this would enable me to enjoy a better mount, still enjoy the simplicity of an Alt Az set up, but with the option of using it in EQ mode as and when I wanted to go down that road.

The EQ3-2 cannot be used in alt/az mode, but if you want to upgrade it further down the road you can, with optional add-ons such as the motor kit or GoTo upgrade kit, long exposure astrophotography also becomes possible.

Thanks for the reply. Very informative as I didn’t realise those upgrades were available and now I have more things to consider.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marmot said:

Thanks for the reply. Very informative as I didn’t realise those upgrades were available and now I have more things to consider.

The kit is not only good for astrophotography, but will make visual observing so much easier. Unfortunately the kits are not cheap at £379, but what is cheap in this hobby? The kits are available from Rother Valley Optics, and probably a few more astro shops in the UK.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

You’re so right, expenditure in this hobby can quickly add up. As a complete newbie to all this I am trying to prevent costs from spiralling out of control. Under normal circumstances I would have been able to go to a club and look at other people’s kit etc, but having come into the hobby during lockdown my options have been limited. Therefore, my strategy so far has been to source items from the used market and sell on anything that didn’t suit me without making any noticeable loss. That way I have been able to sample a few varying eyepieces for example, before settling on the ones I currently have.

The other part of the strategy was to find a friendly and helpful forum........hence I am here🙂

Yli17Qzl.jpg

This is my 'inexpensive' grab and go kit. There's got to be 500 quid's worth here and this isn't including the mount/tripod.

dvJTmPsl.jpg