Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have come across numerous references to the term ‘Bortle’ which I understand is to do with how dark the sky is (lower number is dark, high number is light). But how do I find out or calculate how the Bortle number is where I live? I have tried the net but I can’t find anything specific to where I live so maybe someone has an appropriate link.

I live in Cumbria just west of Penrith and just above the Lake District. There are numerous Listed Dark Sky locations in the Lake District and north of me, so I am trying to decide weather it’s worth driving to them for an observing session one evening or weather the sky where I live is pretty good anyway.

 

thanks for any help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marmot said:

I have come across numerous references to the term ‘Bortle’ which I understand is to do with how dark the sky is (lower number is dark, high number is light). But how do I find out or calculate how the Bortle number is where I live? I have tried the net but I can’t find anything specific to where I live so maybe someone has an appropriate link.

I live in Cumbria just west of Penrith and just above the Lake District. There are numerous Listed Dark Sky locations in the Lake District and north of me, so I am trying to decide weather it’s worth driving to them for an observing session one evening or weather the sky where I live is pretty good anyway.

 

thanks for any help.

The easiest way to find your Bortle class is go to the clear outside website, and enter your location. You can also enter any location, and it will give you the Bortle class for that location

 

https://clearoutside.com/forecast/50.7/-3.52

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the above link. Apparently I am Class 4 Bortle. Hopefully that’s not too bad! 

 

Some of the neighbouring villages are Bortle 3.

Edited by Marmot
Adding information.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly since the installation of new LED lights my location has now changed from Bortle 5 to Bortle 6 and the SQM from 19.51 to 19.38🥵😡🤬

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Sadly since the installation of new LED lights my location has now changed from Bortle 5 to Bortle 6 and the SQM from 19.51 to 19.38🥵😡🤬

I thought the new LED street lights were meant to have a form of cowling to ensure the light was directed downwards to minimise light pollution?

i have a street light opposite my house, but fortunately it is so old that it doesn’t always come on🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marmot said:

I thought the new LED street lights were meant to have a form of cowling to ensure the light was directed downwards to minimise light pollution?

i have a street light opposite my house, but fortunately it is so old that it doesn’t always come on🙂

Light pollution is disaster at least it is where I live.

 

Is good to see that finally some MP are trying to chance the law and improve and preserve the quality of our sky.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9034445/amp/Light-pollution-controlled-sake-future-generations-MPs-claim.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Sadly since the installation of new LED lights my location has now changed from Bortle 5 to Bortle 6 and the SQM from 19.51 to 19.38🥵😡🤬

Did you try with a slingshot? 😀

 

I was a good to use it when I was younger! If you need any help let me know 😀

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gabs said:

Did you try with a slingshot? 😀

 

I was a good to use it when I was younger! If you need any help let me know 😀

Believe me I have thought about it, but I might have to be a crack shot at 1/4 mile away!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

According to CO I have SQI 21.66 and the dark end of Bortle 4, nearly 3.

The nearest streetlights are 4-5 miles away so would need field artillery to put them out.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...