Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

I want to buy a scope at very specific conditions

TareqPhoto

Hi all,

I want to buy a scope, a refractor, with very specific conditions or requirements, the following they are:

1. Not expensive, so must be less than $1000, eve less than $600 if i have to buy a reducer with it [not worry about a flattener], must be a brand new and not used.
  2. Giving focal length at about 270-280mm, with or without a reducer.
  3. Great for narrowbanding, not causing halos or CA with NB filters.
  4. Prefer it to be with a hard case, soft case not much preferable, if not available then i have to find a separate hard case for it but not expensive such as Pelican cases.
  5. Have colors rather than red, something like Blue or gray or black, or even just all white and mount rings or dovetails are black.
  6. Not expensive again

Let's see what you can find for me, i don't want achromatic scopes even for only narrowbanding, i have one and not so much interested in using it again anymore, and with my new triplet it is really hard to look at non APO or achro refactors again [unless i will do planetary or solar imaging only].

The TS Optics Apochromatic refractor AP 61/274 EDPH II meets most of your requirements. It is a triplet with a focal length of 274mm, and comes with it's own corrector/flattener. It does not come with a case unfortunately. The price is 849 euro, approximately £730.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/ts-optics-apochromatic-refractor-ap-61-274-edph-ii-ota/p,63320

1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The TS Optics Apochromatic refractor AP 61/274 EDPH II meets most of your requirements. It is a triplet with a focal length of 274mm, and comes with it's own corrector/flattener. It does not come with a case unfortunately. The price is 849 euro, approximately £730.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/ts-optics-apochromatic-refractor-ap-61-274-edph-ii-ota/p,63320

I hate to buy from this site because they misled me when i paid a lot for shipping and they changed to FedEx which also forced me to buy extra price for shipping and tax and customs, i hated that very much, so i try to avoid this site again.

Also, what is different between this scope and for example RedCat which is a Petzval design and giving 250mm at same price of this scope? Sharpstar 61 is cheaper than this scope which is just a copy paste, it is nice, but i read elsewhere that the reducer is bad because it is an old model/version of reducer designed for a doublet not 61II a new one as triplet.

Edited by TareqPhoto

6 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

Also, what is different between this scope and for example RedCat which is a Petzval design and giving 250mm at same price of this scope? Sharpstar 61 is cheaper than this scope which is just a copy paste, it is nice, but i read elsewhere that the reducer is bad because it is an old model/version of reducer designed for a doublet not 61II a new one as triplet.

The RedCat is probably the better telescope, it has 4 glass elements in 3 groups, and is high quality glass. The RedCat has a smaller diameter than the EDPH, 51mm compared to 61mm. The EDPH is a slightly faster scope at f4.5, whereas the RedCat is f4.9. The only other difference is the RedCat is an all red scope.

2 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The RedCat is probably the better telescope, it has 4 glass elements in 3 groups, and is high quality glass. The RedCat has a smaller diameter than the EDPH, 51mm compared to 61mm. The EDPH is a slightly faster scope at f4.5, whereas the RedCat is f4.9. The only other difference is the RedCat is an all red scope.

I was thinking about RedCat, but i didn't like it much as it is a fixed 4 elements scope and it is 51 not 60-70mm scope, and it is about F5, so i felt like i better go with another scope.

About your link for TS 61, i mentioned that Sharpstar 61 is cheaper and it is exactly same of this TS Optics 61, so in this case i should go with Sharpstar version and not TS, even with reducer that Sharpstar is cheaper, but i still question about Sharpstar or any EDPH 61 model.

1 minute ago, TareqPhoto said:

About your link for TS 61, i mentioned that Sharpstar 61 is cheaper and it is exactly same of this TS Optics 61, so in this case i should go with Sharpstar version and not TS, even with reducer that Sharpstar is cheaper, but i still question about Sharpstar or any EDPH 61 model.

The TS and Sharpstar are the same scope, TS just rebranded it.

1 minute ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The TS and Sharpstar are the same scope, TS just rebranded it.

Exactly, and they rebrand the price too, too much for the same exact scope?

4 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

Exactly, and they rebrand the price too, too much for the same exact scope?

There is another option, but it is more expensive than the RedCat or EDPH at 895 Euro, but it doesn't come with a reducer.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/vixen-apochromatic-refractor-ap-55-303-fluorit-fl55ss-ota/p,60070#tab_bar_3_select

17 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

What is special about this scope so you link me about it?

It is Japanese made the optics are made from flourite instead of glass, flourite is far superior to glass for observing and imaging.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

4 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

It is Japanese made the optics are made from flourite instead of glass, flourite is far superior to glass for observing and imaging.

I asked because there it is still a doublet, there is Takahashi FS-60CB, and with reducer say 0.72x it will be close in price, Tak is also a doublet with Fluorite, so there is always something else to choose, and thus i asked what is making this any special if there is something same quality or maybe a bit better.

2 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

I asked because there it is still a doublet, there is Takahashi FS-60CB, and with reducer say 0.72x it will be close in price, Tak is also a doublet with Fluorite, so there is always something else to choose, and thus i asked what is making this any special if there is something same quality or maybe a bit better.

There is always something better, but with quality comes price. The BORG Apochromatic refractor AP 55/200 55FL F3.6 PLUS ESATTO OTA comes in at 2440 euro.

4 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

There is always something better, but with quality comes price. The BORG Apochromatic refractor AP 55/200 55FL F3.6 PLUS ESATTO OTA comes in at 2440 euro.

Yes, that is why i didn't mention about quality much, i did say about CA or halo, but most likely that can be also filters problem, i still looking around for that scope, 61 is almost the high vote, the only issue is from the reducer itself.